SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
The A-Z of Charles II's London
Tim Lund

01-06-2013 01:55 PM

I post about the London Topographical Society about once a year, when I get their newsletter with details their AGM. AGMs can be grim, but not theirs. They are held in various interesting buildings, and are then members can pick up their annual publication - this year "The A-Z of Charles II's London, London actually Survey'd by William Morgan", which will be a facsimile of the original publication. Thanks to my LTS membership I have a similar Edwardian A-Z, and worth endless pouring over. The contributors are distinguished local historians, working as volunteers, and the publications are great value for the annual membership of £20.

And honestly, I'm not on a commission to drum up membership for the LTS.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cellar Door

03-06-2013 01:27 PM

Hello Tim,

I cannot express how thankful I am of your post. I spend an extraordinary amount of my life pouring over maps of London. And, of course, I am often lurking with intent in Stanfords map store in Covent Garden. I observe, Tim, that they are selling The A to Z of Edwardian London at
Stanfords for £30. And as a member of The London Topographical Society for only £22.50. I can’t wait to take delivery. And I’ve got my greedy eye on the other 5 in the A to Z series now.

Oh, I’m ever so pleased that this year’s 113th AGM is at Central Church of the RAF, St. Clement Danes Church. One of my favourite English nursery rhymes is “Oranges and Lemons”. Well, so say the bells of St Clement’s. The bells evidently ring out the tune of the rhyme but I’ve never been there in time for that. Maybe this is my year?

Thank you again, Tim. I’m about to semi-retire this month and I’m looking for things to do to keep me mind and body active. Apart from lurking on The Cloud Appreciation Society and on this website and hanging around The Science Museum I’ve been wondering what I’ll be doing with my days ahead. Now I got a new favourite thing.

Cheers,

Rob (a.k.a. Cellar Door)

Tim Lund

03-06-2013 05:32 PM

Blush

See you at the AGM!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields