SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
any high street gossip?
daveherne

30-05-2013 07:50 PM

been a while since heard any gossip on empty shops, anybody got anything new (and no admin this is not for trading post Wink i'm not selling anything just being nosey...)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ian Wilson

02-06-2013 12:36 PM

I love Forest Hill. Look at this description of our area by a letting agent.

Quote:
This peaceful, leafy suburb with its great transport links to central London should certainly not be overlooked in any property search. The area may have lost its Great North wood but not the hills with stunning views of central London.

Forest Hill is fast changing and has gained a new wave of varied eating and drinking establishments - with its good transport links this makes it a great area for any Londoner to live in.

I think it summed us up until recently. Forest hill was “fast changing and has gained a new wave of varied eating and drinking establishments”. I hope that empty shops don’t take over!

Sparkles

03-06-2013 12:19 PM

The Sainsbury's in HOP is slowly taking shape. Wasn't it meant to be open in June? Can't see that happening. It doesn't appear to have a floor yet!

michael

03-06-2013 02:23 PM

New shops keep opening, with the Montage being the latest, and a licensing application for the sale of alcohol in one of the empty units behind the station, so somebody is interested in using one of these empty units.

There are still a number of empty units on Dartmouth Road, but less than half the number there were two years ago.

Applespider

03-06-2013 08:06 PM

I took a visitor down to the centre on Saturday. She hasn't visited for a while (a couple of years) and was impressed by the number of interesting shops that have opened up as well as the cafes.

I think she was most jealous of our Butchery although that might have been to do with the 'brown paper packages tied up with string'. I knew that sausages were one of her favourite things. Thumbsup

lacb

04-06-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:
The Sainsbury's in HOP is slowly taking shape. Wasn't it meant to be open in June? Can't see that happening. It doesn't appear to have a floor yet!

Confirmed, see attached. Progress is slow - estimated completion in about 8 weeks apparently.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

daveherne

04-06-2013 04:02 PM

that looks like a lot of work. i guess that is what it takes to convert old buildings for heavy duty modern usage!

Sibelius

04-06-2013 05:21 PM

I was just in The Question Bar for the first time and felt very relaxed in there. I hear it's only recently been done up, so ignore the photos outside as it has a much warmer feel. I notice also the main sign has come down, which I think is a blessing as it used to put me off! I think it has an Antic-pub type feel now and they're obviously trying very hard to move away from any past associations the pub might have had under previous ownership.
My daughter had a lovely pizza and I had a nice pint of Kozel, plus I see they have some Shepherd Neames in the fridge. I definitely think it deserves a try as much as any of the 'new breed' appearing around the centre, and if you're on a budget, it's also great value. Try it!

lacb

04-06-2013 06:11 PM

If they are putting Shepherd Neame in the fridge then sadly that does not inspire confidence.

Herbert

05-06-2013 07:22 AM

The external signage at Question Bar really does it no favours.

Sparkles

05-06-2013 12:40 PM

I've just heard from Sainsbury's (thanks to the power of Twitter) and the HOP branch is due to open at the end of September.

daveherne

05-06-2013 04:10 PM

great!

Sibelius

07-06-2013 12:42 PM

lacb, it's probably worth a thread in itself, but many ales do not have to be room temperature, and Shepherd Neame itself says Spitfire and Bishops finger are best served chilled.
So no need to knock the local businesses on that front!

lacb

07-06-2013 04:09 PM

Ok, I stand corrected. You are right in that there could be a separate thread on this though - the Spitfire I am used to comes out of a barrel and is usually cellar rather than fridge temperature - suits my own preference.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your help needed for a brighter High Street michael 4 6,995 18-05-2015 07:23 AM
Last Post: michael
  Hop high street crossings daveherne 11 10,373 08-11-2013 09:18 PM
Last Post: daveherne
  What has happened to FH high street? Tenbybelle 5 7,606 23-09-2013 08:37 AM
Last Post: edpaff
  High Street Revival Money for Forest Hill jgdoherty 4 6,405 25-07-2012 11:23 AM
Last Post: jgdoherty