SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Prince the Rinse RIP
netty

29-03-2013 12:06 AM

I have just seen an RIP for Prince the Rinse who I believe was well known around Forest Hill. He was a lovely, friendly guy. Does anyone know, apart from the obvious, what happened to him?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lilith

29-03-2013 05:13 PM

Hi, if it's the same guy,(locks, in his 50's), he very sadly had cancer and passed away a couple of weeks ago

P1971

29-03-2013 08:34 PM

He died of throat cancer, but he was a well known and liked character in the area. He was a great hairdresser too and cut my hair many times. He will be sadly missed.

P1971

29-03-2013 08:40 PM

His little beach rooftop garden can be seen from the back of Sainsbury's car park still. Just look to the right when you come out the back entrance and you will see the bunting.

P1971

29-03-2013 08:53 PM

Maybe we should have a little get together for him there as I don't think he had any family.

genevieve_south

14-04-2013 11:05 PM

Oh no, very sad to hear that news. I never knew his name but always said 'Hi' as he walked his dog around FH (assuming this is him) I thought I'd not seen him around for a while.
There are flowers for him on Manor Mount/David's Road...RIP

netty

16-04-2013 06:10 PM

Thanks all. I have now seen his funeral is on the morning of 25th April followed by a wake at The Hob.

hillsideresident

17-04-2013 09:11 AM

That's all correct. The funeral will be on 25th April (Thursday next week).

The cortege will come up David's Road past Prince's house at 10:15-10:30, and the funeral will be at Brenchley Gardens Cemetery at 10:45.

The wake will be at the Hob (opposite the station) afterwards, I imagine therefore starting at about 11:45-12:00.

The main entrance to the cemetery is in Brenchley Gardens, obviously. But if you're on foot, you may find it easier to use the other entrance which is in Brockley Way, as it is very close to Crofton Park. From Forest Hill the 122 goes to Crofton Park, from which it is 300 yards up Eddystone Road and over the railway line, to the Brockley Way entrance.

P1971

17-04-2013 08:54 PM

I'll be outside Prince's house from 10 am on 25th April to pay my respect's as the cortege passes. I do keep wondering what has happened to his dog, as he loved it so much. If it needs a new home lets try to find it one.

SouthLondoner

18-04-2013 07:19 PM

Is this the same guy who used to have a hairdresser shop on Dartmouth Road near the Bird in Hand pub?

annsquire66

19-04-2013 01:57 PM

I believe he did a stint in there at one point- Adams as it was then. Adam has moved further up Dartmouth Road opposite the swimming pools.

Cellar Door

25-04-2013 02:10 PM

One of the blessings of my life has been to have known Prince.

He used to cut my hair. When I had some to cut.

P1971 mentioned in post #4 “The Beach”. I used to hang out with him on “The Beach”. To get there required a rather hair raising (or losing) jump from a banister to the ceiling window. I’m feeling rather anxious as I type this thinking about us middle aged men doing this Tarzan style leap.
Well, Him Tarzan, Me Jane.

(Oh P1971, I’ve only just read that you were thoughtfully wondering about Prince’s lovely little dog, Rio? From my understanding after recently talking with two friends who are involved with his funeral that Rio was quickly re-homed successfully. I was involved here and there with his little bird. Quite some time ago. And I know that his fish have been sorted. That was incredibly kind of you to have raised concern for little Rio.)

I had to work today. And so I have missed the cortege and the funeral. I expect that it is very well attended.

I gave recently to Cancer Research UK and Macmillan which was Prince’s request instead of flowers for his funeral. I understand that his family were kindly arranging for flowers for the funeral.

And I would like to express my admiration to Bev who arranged this collection to the two charities above on behalf of many people last week.

Knowing Prince as I do, I’m smiling to myself. I’m sure that he has one little last trick planned to make us laugh. Maybe, just maybe, arranging for his mobile to be ringing from within the sealed coffin at just the right moment of the service. I wonder what he’d play?

I want to put a little flag here. Prince was ever so proud that the flag of the Commonwealth of Dominica (part of his heritage) was the only one in world that contains a Parrot. And for the first time I’ve looked it up. I love the flag and Parrot.

Thanks Prince.

P1971

25-04-2013 06:48 PM

Cellar Door I watched the cortege go past his house today, and after having a chat with his landlord he told me his dog had a new home, which I'm really chuffed about, he also took some flowers to the crematorium for me which was kind. My son was a little upset before I took him to school this morning and insisted that I had to take some lovely flowers with me. Quite a few people were there today, and the sun was shinning! I was also told it was a lovely service.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields