SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Let's move to Forest Hill
michael

15-03-2013 11:47 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/mar...ffordshire

Quote:
Live in Forest Hill, SE London? Do you have a favourite haunt or a pet hate? If so, please write, by Tuesday 19 March, to lets.move@guardian.co.uk

let's keep this place a secret. Don't tell them about the green spaces, the museum, the most reliable train service in the country, the new swimming pool, new shops, monthly market, good schools, awesome views, and all the friendly people. If you do we will be swamped by guardianistas and won't be able to afford to live in our own houses.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Codrington Brill

16-03-2013 06:52 PM

Too late, we're already here and taking over. Readers of Murdoch papers/Daily Mailers beware! Thumbup

P1971

16-03-2013 09:00 PM

Did you see the cute market outside the pools today? Cakes (giant hm jammy dodgers), hand knitted monkeys, prints, plants, etc. Another addition to my fav FH.

michael

18-03-2013 02:19 PM

Just one more day to hold off telling the Guardian what is so great about Forest Hill.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to take my own advice, and I don't think I'm going to be able to stop myself emailing lets.move@guardian.co.uk later today.

I can only urge others to send them a list of the reasons why Forest Hill is such a terrible place to live; the massive increase in independent coffee shops filled with well behaved children munching on their ciabatta, gangs of middle-aged women frequently hanging round the station planting flowers, and it is often safe to walk down the street, even at night. This really isn't what people moving to South London should have to put up with.

Cellar Door

18-03-2013 02:54 PM

Michael wrote:
I can only urge others to send them a list of the reasons why Forest Hill is such a terrible place to live; the massive increase in independent coffee shops filled with well behaved children munching on their ciabatta, gangs of middle-aged women frequently hanging round the station planting flowers, and it is often safe to walk down the street, even at night. This really isn't what people moving to South London should have to put up with.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for warning me about this disgusting, revolting, sickening behaviour that you are witnessing in The Hill.

I’m considering writing to The Guardian to warn them that I actually saw a young personage pick up some rubbish on Devonshire Road just off the South Circular. This feckless young man had a Hi-Viz jacket on. They might have been employed by the local council. That doesn’t matter. What really got my goat was that this young man actually smiled and said “Good Morning” to me.

I did not know which way to look.

They certainly got a withering glance from me as I hurried on. My deep hope is that this young man will know not to ever, ever do that again.

If it does happen again, then I’ll take a photograph of him and send it to the Love Lewisham website.

And don’t get me started on people holding doors open for each other. I’ve seen this in The Capitol. A Wetherspoon pub. Can you believe it? It’s like some disease that people have being nice to each other in Forest Hill.

As Captain Jean-Luc Picard once said, The line must be drawn here! This far, no further!

Is this the address to send my correspondence?

lets.move@guardian.co.uk

Yours Sincerely,

Outraged of Forest Hill

michael

19-03-2013 09:58 AM

Cellar Door,
I sorry to hear about your experience, and that of others who have found that they can leave their car doors open and don't get anything stolen, just things rummaged through. Is it too much to expect car thieves to tidy up rather than creating a mess when they don't take anything?

You are right to try to draw a line, but as Captain Jean-Luc Picard said when he was assimilated by the Borg, Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

rshdunlop

19-03-2013 01:41 PM

A really upsetting thing happened today. My husband managed to lose his wallet while cycling to work. It dropped out of his pocket. Unfortunately, he was still within the bounds of SE23 when it happened and the wallet has now been returned to our home address, contents intact, including a fair amount of cash.

I despair.

sydenhamcentral

19-03-2013 03:17 PM

I had the same thing in Sydenham, except it had more cash in it, a winning lottery ticket and Hale Berry's phone number with a lipstick kiss.

Terrible. You don't get this sort of thing in Belgravia.

michael

19-03-2013 03:37 PM

Speaking of Belgravia I found that since I moved back to Forest Hill I have started to lose my hair. Has anybody else had a similar problem when living in Forest Hill?

I hope the Guardian warns people that this can happen if you live in Forest Hill.

P1971

19-03-2013 06:45 PM

I would like to say that I'm disgusted that 3 FH independent traders have managed to raise over £1000 for Comic Relief combined. It's mind boggling that people from Forest Hill are so generous!

lacb

19-03-2013 07:29 PM

It would seem the main danger to Forest Hill residents is the recent phenomenom of low lying dense smug.

Deano

20-03-2013 08:40 PM

I'm fed up with so many good primary schools and the fact it took me less than half an hour from my house to work in Canary Wharf. Talk about inconvenient. There are far too many trees and parks. Londoners need homes! While i'm complaining how come every other borough shuts its swimming pools and closes its libraries yet in Forest Hill, ours have just been done up? We are so old fashioned....

charsiew

23-03-2013 12:15 PM

Just bought the Guardian in high anticipation, I can't see to see the article in the Guardian? Lancashire is the only one on the list

Looks like it might be pushed back to next week Sad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/mar...lancashire

admin
Administrator

05-04-2013 11:20 AM
alisa

05-04-2013 11:40 AM

Well that was underwhelming. May be a good thing - keep our hood a best kept secret ;-)

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
michael

05-04-2013 01:22 PM

A great report on our 'gloomy' corner from which we can 'commute to all those places we can't afford' (like Tooting and Peckham for example).

Disappointed that they mentioned the incessant noise of the South Circular as it is the low flying aircraft every 5 minutes that keep house prices sky high in Putney and Fulham.

But at least they avoided mentioning Fairlawn, the other outstanding primary school, or the new swimming pool.

We are safe from the invasion of the guardianistas for another year. Let's just hope that we don't see Phil and Kirsty around again, they don't seem capable of making a series without selling another house in Forest Hill.

MightyMouse

05-04-2013 03:02 PM

I never understand the fuss about the South Circular. If it were a six-lane zoom-a-tron, with barriers and 50mph speed limits and so on, I'd understand why it might cause problems, why it might make this a less desirable place to live. But it's just a normal (fairly busy) road, isn't it, with traffic lights and crossings a-plenty?

Applespider

05-04-2013 06:31 PM

Perhaps they live near that nightmare that is the North Circular.

The South Circular is only really busy at rush hour. I cycle along it between 8 and 9 on some week nights with barely any other traffic on it. It is a nuisance when it comes to crossing the road etc but it's not exactly a 6 lane racetrack.

nottinghillbilly

05-04-2013 08:52 PM

What a rubbish article, I emailed in and mentioned Canvas and Cream, Havelock Walk artists, Sylvan Post, HOB for music and comedy, the independent shops, butchers, sweet shop,farmers market etc etc and they rather lazily
Only mentioned St Davids-Lovely though it is there other places to 'hang out' and the photo they used was just 'pants'-they could have photographed the park, the museum or even the pretty shopfront of St Davids.
Finally they omitted to mention that it only takes 40mins to Bond St, and about 25mins to Shorditch High St.

In a nutshell I really feel it was a lazy and poorly researched piece

daveherne

06-04-2013 07:07 AM

Expected a better article from the guardian. Expect the jouno did not even visit.

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Move to Forest Hill FH2016 6 9,236 26-01-2016 04:34 PM
Last Post: jdj
  Planning to move to Forest Hill (or ED) alimc 21 28,076 05-04-2013 10:04 AM
Last Post: foresthillfan
  Planning to move to Forest Hill Hayward223 5 8,579 24-09-2012 12:29 PM
Last Post: HCT77
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 28,824 14-11-2011 02:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest