SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Direct Action
baggydave

22-04-2008 09:23 PM

I was tickled by Baboonery taking some direct, and amusing, action against Foxtons. BD tends to try and wind up scammers on the internet, but that doesn't really have a local edge to it, unless there is a West Africa/SE23 angle on it. Nor does his attemts to wind up ticket touts on e-bay by selling free advice on how to avoid them.

Of course by not using McDonalds I may have driven them out of business but perhaps not.

Maybe someone can add some more interesting stories.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

23-04-2008 07:35 AM

I like to try and convert visiting Jahovas Witnesses to Buddhism when they call at my house at 8am on a Saturday. Not that I am a Buddhist of course but it still amuses me.

michael

23-04-2008 08:13 AM

I like to stop on pedestrian crossings when bikes are coming towards me against red lights.

In the spirit of Baggy bringing down McDonalds, I have recently caused hyperinflation in Zimbabwe by not buying their mange tout. All I am saying, is give peas a chance.

roz

23-04-2008 09:30 AM

I did once think of wandering into Foxtons in Lordship Lane to change my baby's nappy on a window table but then thought that this might be considered a little unfair to my daughter and likely to attract the attention of social services. However there are few places with changing facilities on LL so it may be a real issue at some point. Watch this space.
A few years ago I did threaten to go down to the Town Hall with my left-behind rubbish as the collection people were at that time refusing to collect black bags. This was before recycling bins were issued which solved our problem.

I think carefully considered direct action speaks volumes. It also scares the authorities to death if its likely to attract media coverage.
It might be an idea to try something like this when they try and close the gate to Platform 2, ie have a parade of prams and people with suitcases turn up at the station and demand help with getting over the bridge. Just a thought.

Perryman

23-04-2008 10:40 AM

I surreptitiously snap a shoot off any Japanese knotweed infestation I pass.
If we all did this, the problem would, er, now I come to think of it, probably vigorously spread all around SE23, but it is the thought that counts.

sydenhamcentral

23-04-2008 12:02 PM

I enjoy getting calls from cold callers from double glazing salesmen who I keep on the phone as long as possible before telling them:

Sorry, I forgot, I don't have any windows
I live in a tent in the garden
Did I ever tell you about the time when I was 5 and?' and rabbit on for as long as I can with a straight face.

Or my favourite

Oh, just a moment, I can smell burning (put phone down and walk away leaving phone off the hook).

robwinton

23-04-2008 02:10 PM

Perryman wrote:
I surreptitiously snap a shoot off any Japanese knotweed infestation I pass.
If we all did this, the problem would, er, now I come to think of it, probably vigorously spread all around SE23, but it is the thought that counts.

Perryman, do you have these uploaded somewhere? Do you mark where they are? I am thinking of writing an article on it and some photos and pointers would really help.

BarCar

23-04-2008 02:21 PM

Here's a script to help you handle any incoming direct marketing telephone sales calls:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

BT

23-04-2008 03:21 PM

"I enjoy getting calls from cold callers from double glazing salesmen"

My favourite one is to say "I already have double glazing" and when they say "How about Patio Doors or a Conservatory?" I say "Yes, If you can do it on a second floor flat"

They usually ring off straight away.

Perryman

24-04-2008 01:20 PM

robwinton, I think you underestimate the intensity of my direct action against Japanese Knotweed.

I do not take pictures of it, but actively and physically interact with it, by breaking the tips off in targeted covert strikes.

I run a double risk here:
that a furious Japanese person will come running out of their house, samurai sword glinting, and chase me off from the boundary of their prize garden.

or that I might get a hand full of napalm.

Risk 2 I can handle as my children put far worse in my hand and pockets.

For all the fuss that is made about how indestructible the plant is, if you repeatedly break the stems off, it will eventually die when its underground energy supplies are exhausted.

michael

24-04-2008 01:29 PM

Rob,
If you want to see photograph some Japanese Knotweed there is some around my house, coming through the fence from the next door flats. But it is not particularly healthy as AM is engaged in daily chemical warfare against it and she seems to be winning!

bigjulie

25-04-2008 11:08 AM

I know of someone who used to put "Pavements are for Pedestrians" stickers onto the windscreens and wing mirrors of cars parked (illegally) on the pavement. Regular stickering certainly upset some drivers and had an effect.

Londondrz

25-04-2008 11:11 AM

Mmmm, thanks BigJulie you have got me thinking.

I am going to have a load of "iPeds are stupid" stickers and slap them on the forheads of every idiot that walks out in front of me without looking when I am on my bike.

bigjulie

25-04-2008 11:13 AM

I know someone who used to decorate dog poo on the pavement, with the intention of highlighting the dog owners inconsiderate practice of not scooping up.

Londondrz

25-04-2008 11:24 AM

I have followed someone who let their dog poo on the pavement and posted the poo back to them through their letter box. It was a long time ago and something that will get me arested these days but it did make me feel good at the time.

baggydave

10-05-2008 09:59 PM

Slapping cars running pedestrian lights or zebra crossings (takes skill as you can lose your hand), and similar for artic vehicles including my favourite bendy buses for stopping across crossings. Slapping is an art as you clearly don't want to do any damage, nor make it is clear what you did as this risks road rage.

Chucking lit fag buts or other litter back into cars after they have chucked it out of their window. A little more provocative.

What a sad little life I lead.

Snazy

12-05-2008 01:14 PM

How about cutting peoples hedges for them? Im so tempted. There are some seriously stupid ones about that force you to walk in the road...

Me, the dark of night and some cutters... Naturally I wont be able to see what im doing so it will look messy, but we will get the pavements back Smile

Londondrz

12-05-2008 01:24 PM

Snazy wrote:
How about cutting peoples hedges for them? Im so tempted. There are some seriously stupid ones about that force you to walk in the road...

Me, the dark of night and some cutters... Naturally I wont be able to see what im doing so it will look messy, but we will get the pavements back Smile

I have to say I disagree on this one, hedges over pavement every day. Think of the greenery!!!

Mind you, I looked at mine yesterday and it could do with a trim, you can pop over during the day if you want to Snazy, I will even lend you my electric hedge trimmerThumbsup

thenutfield

12-05-2008 10:53 PM

I think Channel 4 should get a film crew to follow Baggydave around for 24 hours, maybe with Louis Theroux in tow - it would make great TV!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields