SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Location Location Location
atomicrobot

03-01-2013 09:13 PM

Take that docklands! Right decision to move to fabulous forest hill over dreary docklands.....

Where was that house that was on tonight anyway? Very nice!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chipcity

03-01-2013 10:41 PM

It is on Woolstone Road and I like the way that Phil said that Forest Hill was undervalued.....

michael

04-01-2013 09:28 AM

Brockley Central had live coverage of this television program due to the inclusion of a property in Brockley. In the end they concluded it was the fireplaces that won it for Forest Hill (the massive rooms were just an added bonus).

So Forest Hill welcomes another couple who found their way here via Channel 4. Well done, good choice, and welcome to the neighbourhood.

If you are visitors to SE23.com let us know how you have found the place since your move. And for others thinking of moving to Forest Hill, or recently moved here - what do you think would make Forest Hill more attractive to property hunters from beyond the postcode?

borderpaul

04-01-2013 11:45 AM

I think Phil is undervalued. We should campaign to get him a knighthood for services to FH.

I think it was the prospect of tiny feet that won it, with size and nice fireplaces supporting the decision.

daveherne

04-01-2013 11:49 AM

We moved to HOP because of the transport, primary schools, friendly and safe streets, and abundance of green spaces. And , now, after a few months I am sure we made the right decision, as it turns out the people we have met locally are great too. We are on one of the streets off Grierson Road.

HOP needs a few new independent shops (and also when is that sainsbury's opening!...) and maybe a modern pub.

Medley

04-01-2013 12:33 PM

We moved to just off Garthorne in April and love the area, having been in Honor Oak (i.e. where Honor Oak station used to be - over One Tree Hill in the direction of E Dulwich) before.

The high street needs help somehow, that's for sure, but I love the green spaces, people, value, landscape, the good shops in HOP/CP/FH, transport and the fact that we're close and hill-free enough to still commute by bike into town each day.

p.s. SE23 isn't just Forest Hill!

SeanThomas

04-01-2013 02:00 PM

We moved to Forest Hill about 18 months ago now.

Loved it so far. Had previously been in SW London and feared that we'd miss the big green spaces but have found lots of great places to visit not too far away (Sydenham Hill Woods, Horniman Gardens, Greenwich Park). And everyone is so much more friendly, possibly because people seem to own their places here and stay put instead of rent.

We know many of our neighbours who were brilliant when we got burgled when overseas and have found some great places to eat and drink.

With Antic ( http://www.antic-ltd.com/ ) taking over lots of local pubs we have a great range of places to go from posh grub with family to lively late license nights out and some great shops at FH emerging. The fiver promotion was great too and got us using lots of them.

Having a car now also means that we've grown to enjoy the delights of Dulwich, Blackheath, Crystal Palace, Brockwell, etc too.

Transport is generally good so very pleased we made the move. It seems many of our friends are thinking of doing the same!

nottinghillbilly

06-01-2013 07:05 PM

We moved here in spring 2011 having previously lived in Notting Hill (I grew up there in fact).
Never thought I'd ever move south of the river but my boyfriend's job coupled with affordable housing (unlike in Notting Hill!) lead us to explore the area, and ultimately to decide to move here.
Most of my friends (west londoners) predicted I would hate it and find the move very difficult but I have to say I and indeed WE have no regrets.
I love it here, great neighbours, a real sense of community, independent shops as well as useful chains-like Boots, WH Smiths, Sainsburys.
Its just a really really underrated area.
It would be nice to have a decent health/wholefood shop, perhaps a fishmongers, a Bread shop/bakers would be superb, and perhaps a good organic cafe/resturant that is open in the evening.
I would recommend this area to anyone, the only negative for me is the longish wait for overground trains after 9,30pm

Southlonder

06-01-2013 07:23 PM

HOP prices in particular are seriously rocketing however and it wont be long before terraced 3 beds hit £550k, especially once the Saino local opens

SeanThomas

06-01-2013 11:11 PM

Not sure where you're based but Sydenham high street has a few of these things. There's an excellent fishmonger / butcher with a great bakery a few doors down. There's also a health food shop and the Blue Mountain cafe too.

Dulwich has all these things but is far pricier!

daveherne

07-01-2013 09:35 AM

HOP house prices are a bit mad but they are quite nice. decent sized - good second homes for families.

Tomcat

07-01-2013 01:12 PM

Hi Nottinghillbilly, there is a great little bakers/patisserie on the parade of shops along Perry Vale (near the old fire station). Its called Lolo's. Get there early for bread though as it quickly sells out. We moved to FH in 2008. Had the potential then (hence we bought) and has improved markedly since. There are still ways in which it can improve, as discussed in numerous other threads, but already there is a very nice balance to life in FH. My personal view is that we don't want to go too far down the East Dulwich route, as it's probably over-gentrified now.

nottinghillbilly

07-01-2013 09:46 PM

Thanks for fishmonger and bakery tips, I live near the Horniman so London Road and Dartmouth road tends to be where I shop, and occasionally Lordship Lane.
I agree with Tomcat-we have a good balance in FH and there is something achingly smug abut East Dulwich.
As A full time worker the only thing I do miss in FH are nice later opening places to go for a coffee or quick snack, by later I mean until 9pm.

Red67

08-01-2013 10:02 AM

La Bonne bakery in Kirkdale is not too far away either (if you live near the Horniman)....it's undergoing a refurb at the moment, but oh my, their French breads, pastries and patisserie are GOOD! Another recommendation for Wellbeing health food shop in Sydenham too - not that far to go and it's excellent.

nottinghillbilly

08-01-2013 04:33 PM

Yes I've been to Wellbeing and I agree it is excellent, friendly and not overpriced.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Location, Location,Location jay25 18 22,096 07-03-2015 08:32 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Location x3 gbrownings 10 13,033 04-05-2013 08:59 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Forest Hill yet again a location for a film baggydave 0 4,200 29-10-2010 08:11 PM
Last Post: baggydave
  Location Location Location hasto 10 11,088 07-06-2010 06:37 PM
Last Post: baggydave
  Location Location Location - Channel 4 marianna 17 20,379 09-09-2009 09:49 PM
Last Post: edd
  National Brand Invests in Prominent Forest Hill Shopping Location robwinton 15 22,122 10-07-2008 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Forest Hill Methodist Church - new location admin 0 3,798 04-04-2008 11:59 AM
Last Post: admin