SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
20 MPH limit across all of Lewisham?
thenutfield

15-04-2008 10:07 PM

I saw this article about Lewisham being the first London borough to introduce a blanket 20 MPH speed limit.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/a...article.do

Absolutely no mention of it on the Lewisham Council website. Does anyone know anything about it, like when it might happen? or which streets might be excluded?

personally, I am all in favour of anything that will slow down the traffic - in general, and in my street in particular. Not sure I am very keen on even more cameras though.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

16-04-2008 07:39 AM

I am all in favour of a 20 limit where it is needed. A 20 mph blanked ban is just stupid. I dont know why the government doesnt just ban cars and be done with it. They keep ****ing around with cameras, speed humps, flashy signs etc, etc. The people who speed are only going to speed when they know they can. Bring back traffic cops!!!

NewForester

16-04-2008 09:52 AM

I suspect this would only apply to roads that the Borough is responsible for, so not the Red Routes, including the A2, A20, A21, A205 (South Circular) and the A205 which are the responsibility of TfL.

According to government statistics, average speeds in inner London are 11.2-13.7 MPH, so would a blanket 20 MPH limit make any difference? I'm not sure whether it would result in traffic calming or increased road rage and those idiots who race round narrow roads at 50 MPH will do so regardless of the speed limit.

Londondrz

16-04-2008 10:25 AM

Would agree NF as you and I have seen the muppets who use Waldenshaw Rd as a drag strip.

thenutfield

16-04-2008 10:38 PM

I guess its about maintaining a downward pressure on speed in residential areas. If the speed limit is 30, we think its OK to go at 35. If the speed limit is 20, we might slow down to 30!

And dont be misled by those average speed statistics - they say more about the time spent stopped at junctions, traffic lights etc than they do about actual travelling speeds.

Triangle

18-04-2008 09:34 AM

Apparently, Portsmouth is the first city in the country to introduce a 20 mph limit on its roads. I understand that the new, reduced limit applies to roads where the average speed is already below 24 mph and covers the majority of residential roads.

For those interested, details about the scheme can be found on Portsmouth City Council's web site under the heading of "Road Safety".

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields