SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
is there a jubilee street party on the hill?
isaglanzer

07-05-2012 07:55 PM

The last Tewkesbury Lodge Residents' Association newsletter, I think in Jan, seemed to be suggesting that there might be a Jubilee street party on the hill. Does anyone know if this is actually going to happen? I haven't heard anything further about it recently. While I'm no great royalist, it does seem quite a jolly idea, especially if it finally stops raining and starts to be spring properly.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sandy

08-05-2012 08:12 AM

There is to be a beacon lighting on One Tree Hill between 10 and 10.30 pm. Details will be advertised soon.

isaglanzer

08-05-2012 02:17 PM

That sounds great, although I was more wondering about daytime events on the Tewkesbury Lodge Estate hill or thereabouts? I suspect we need a good party to unite the neighbourhood after all that wrangling about nurseries, planning etc. etc....

isaglanzer

11-05-2012 08:57 AM

So nearly 500 hundred viewings but no response except about One Tree Hill - I guess that probably means there isn't a Jubilee street party for the Tewkesbury Lodge estate hill, but that people are interested in the idea.

ForestHillMonkey

11-05-2012 09:46 AM

Perhaps someone could organise a jerk cook out event. I understand that the last one was very popular.

roz

11-05-2012 07:53 PM

Unfortunately we are not royalists so wont be celebrating but attending a republican banquet in another part of the country.

rshdunlop

11-05-2012 08:45 PM

Yes, Roz, we know your views on royalty. We won't be celebrating the Jubilee either, but let's leave this thread for people who are.

roz

11-05-2012 08:50 PM

They're not all bad. I found the recent royal weather reports highly entertaining. He should do stand up. If he'd shown half of that sense of humour before we might all be more kindly disposed.

roz

11-05-2012 09:24 PM

Now Will's doing the stand up. They should do the comedy circuit.

isaglanzer

11-05-2012 09:29 PM

Do you know, I would be quite happy too with a republican street party on the hill for the jubilee - it's just the whole idea of a big outdoor party in our lovely setting that I find appealing. But I'll certainly look what Canvas and Cream are doing, those sound like lovely ideas, though something outdoor would be great.

michael

12-05-2012 08:32 PM

I hear something might be happening in the station car park on the Sunday.
http://t.co/uJeKuUqp

isaglanzer

30-05-2012 09:53 PM

Ah, a poster in Canonbie Rd (photo attached) suggests there IS a Jubilee do on the Tewkesbury Lodge Estate hill after all. Sounds fun, hopefully. Not much publicity though.    

This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 09:54 PM by isaglanzer.

michael

01-06-2012 11:11 AM

Other events, open to all:

Sunday 3 June - 10am - 2pm
Forest Hill Society second Food Fair. With delicious offerings from many of the stall holders who came last time and a few replacements due to prior bookings.

This time, fresh Bread and pastries will be offered by Bread On The Hoof and there will be plenty of cupcakes from Peggy's Cupcakes.

Mridula's Kitchen will be bringing more of their Hand made Fruit Chutneys which will go wonderfully with the Hand made Cheese from Green's of Glastonbury or something from Aga's Little Deli. If you want something a little more spicy, why not try some of the tantalising Caribbean Pickles and Jellies from Pimento Hill.

Franklins will be bringing their wide range of Fresh Vegetables and Produce and The Egg Boss will also be back, bringing a few more of his legendary Scotch Eggs this time, but get there early to make sure you don't miss out.

There will also be plenty of hot food with Fantastic Frankfurters from FleischMob, the Blintz Boy dishing up delicious sweet and savoury pancakes (Blintzes to those in the know) and Minal's Indian Food catering for the vegetarian crowd.

Finally, wash it all down with tea and coffee from On The Hoof or a local beer and cider at FleischMob's bar.

Monday 4 June - 2pm
The Sylvan Post will be hosting a family day, starting with a magician at 2pm, followed by live music from a skiffle band at 4pm and Chris Kennedy at 6pm.

Monday 4 June - 9:30pm
Diamond Jubilee Beacon Lighting - As part of the national Jubilee beacons lighting programme Southwark will be lighting its historic beacon on One Tree Hill at 9.30pm with songs by the Fairlawn Singers and Friends. Please take care if going as it will be dark and the surfaces are very uneven and muddy in places. The beacon is at the top of the hill, next to the gun emplacement.

Tuesday 5 June - Noon-3pm
As well as being open all day Monday and Tuesday (10am - 6pm) serving cocktails and cream teas, Canvas & Cream will be inviting you to 'Make your own Crown'. Materials will be supplied, but a small donation to the gallery would be welcome.
Please note: This will not be a facilitated workshop and children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

Details taken from http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2012/05...-se23.html

stefan

01-06-2012 11:25 AM

Big compliment to the Forest Hill society for organising the second food market, really impressive work what they are doing at the moment and seems to be getting better and better

TND

01-06-2012 05:26 PM

There is also a Jubilee event on at Canvas and Cream, with cream tea and a jubilee cocktail on offer, plus 'Make Your Own Crown' for the kids on Tuesday...

shzl400

03-06-2012 03:52 PM

Great time had by all at the Dunoon Road street party. Thanks to Tim and Mel for organising and all others who contributed. Once again, food for about 10 times as many people! And the rain held off just about long enough....

This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 03:53 PM by shzl400.

Applespider

05-06-2012 10:54 AM

Congratulations to those who pulled off the beacon on One Tree Hill. It was great to see a good turnout. Fairlawn Singers were excellent especially when they got the crowd involved - acoustics weren't great for appreciating them singing unaccompanied at times.

Extra kudos to those who implemented 'Plan B' in the lighting of the beacon - definitely added a little more drama to the evening but did the trick!

vipes

05-06-2012 04:34 PM

We arrived at the Triangle at the top of the hill to small hushed groups of (mainly) adults. Not very enticing so left to join friends at Marmora Road's street party. There they'd collected a tenner, booze, food, BBQs and trestle tables from every house and put on a stage with bands, as well as races, tug of war, face painting, bouncy castle, routemaster bus rides, BBQs, bash the corgi and more. Plenty of notice to residents and as many friends as residents wanted to bring along. There was great music, kids everywhere, masses of people of every age colour and class - and loads of food left over! This rich mix made for fantastic atmosphere and a model of what could be achieved.

I know it's easy to criticise, and TLRA do some great things but (fireworks aside) organising a party doesn't seem to be one of them. 2nd time we've been to a residents' thing in the triangle and 2nd time we didn't hang around.

It's probably easier to achieve on a road than an estate, but surely TLRA could have been less conservative in their ambitions. I mean no music and 3 or 4 days notice in the form of a few posters - yet it must have been planned months ago to secure the road closures? Is it evidence of JCAD (Jerk Cookout Anxiety Disorder) in the TLRA? Lightening up is the recommended treatment.

Anyway rare opportunity for the whole hill to come together wasted IMO. We and many neighbours would gladly have mucked in and pooled time and expertise to make it memorable. Shame.

Jason

05-06-2012 05:21 PM

Doesn't surprise me. So glad we didn't bother.
I heard that someone tried to organise another party in Ringmore Rise and that TLERA said that they would object if they applied to close the road.
Nothing changes.

gingernuts

06-06-2012 01:31 PM

It's a bit rich blaming the TLRA. In my opinion a community party is only successful if EVERYONE pull's together to make it an event people want to attend. If you cant be bothered to help with organising, fund raising, baking, donating etc, you get exactly what you deserve!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Colfe road street party this Sunday 2-8pm ForestHill Mum 0 2,182 14-09-2021 09:07 PM
Last Post: ForestHill Mum
  Colfe road Street party- Saturday 29th June 3-9pm ForestHill Mum 0 2,663 24-06-2019 11:10 AM
  Colfe Road Street party- Sunday 10th June 2-8pm ForestHill Mum 4 7,453 19-07-2018 02:50 PM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Street party on Colfe Road Sunday 11th September ForestHill Mum 5 6,051 08-09-2016 11:46 AM
  Loud street party near Honor Oak Poppet2 3 5,683 29-08-2015 09:00 PM
Last Post: Mr Robin Banks
  Colfe Road Street Party ForestHill Mum 13 17,549 07-06-2015 08:24 AM
  Street party linda 16 17,703 04-02-2011 10:11 PM
Last Post: Nicnack