SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Designer Smeg Fridge for sale £250 OBO
zoewhit

23-04-2012 01:17 PM

Turquoise Smeg refrigerator/ freezer designed by architect Renzo Piano ready for collection in Honor Oak £250 or best offer. Model FPD34AD

Full disclosure: Retails for £2,000+; stainless steel interior; warrantee expired; freezer is huge and works brilliantly; A+ energy rating but fridge compartment running at 7-8C, no lower. Still, a stylish deal if you are handy with appliances or willing to spend addt'l £150 on repair (price quoted by Smeg Service UK, where fridge is registered).

Buyer must collect. Happy to answer any questions.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hoona

23-04-2012 01:37 PM

Hi there,
How old is the fridge and is it right-hand hinge or left-hand?
Thanks

zoewhit

23-04-2012 02:05 PM

Hello
We purchased it in 2005 from PowerPoint, the appliance store in Greenwich on Trafalgar Road. The handle is on the left, so the door swings open toward the right.

thanks for your interest
Zoe

ediewakefield

14-05-2012 01:47 PM

Is the Renzo fridge still available?

zoewhit

14-05-2012 02:40 PM

Dear Edie Wakefield

Unfortunately yours is the first real show of interest since I posted. I sold it Tuesday it to D&N Appliances on Brockley Road for £80 cash. They made a meal of its unusual design/ colour. If you are interested, you could make them an offer knowing what price they paid?

Actually, I passed it on the bus today. You can't miss it. It's the only turquoise one on the pavement!

Hope this helps. In all honesty, style-wise: best fridge ever (in my "unusual" opinion). We got fed up with the fridge compartment overheating and the Smeg repairmen being unfamiliar with the model.

Best, Zoe

ediewakefield

14-05-2012 02:49 PM

Thanks so much for your help.
I will try and find their details online Smile

ediewakefield

14-05-2012 03:00 PM

D&A Domestic Appliances on Brockley road
020 8692 8220
...are selling your Renzo for £800!

They say that they have fixed it themselves (not through Smeg) and now offer their own D&A 6 month guarantee.

I feel that they really did you over with £80.00 cash!

ediewakefield

14-05-2012 03:03 PM

I think that design wise it is the best fridge ever aswell.

I really fell in love with it and wanted to buy it some time ago but could not afford to.

I was really excited this week when I saw your ad and hoped that I could buy it second-hand and later on, when I have the cash, to fix it through Smeg.

zoewhit

14-05-2012 03:24 PM

£800, huh? Well, it figures! Still, all the Smeg re-sellers I called wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. We were beginning to think we'd have to pay someone to remove it from our flat.

Again, my insider knowledge: we bought it in 2005 wholesale from PowerPoint in Greenwich (not sure they are still trading?) for £650. We never could have afforded the retail price. Smeg's current Renzo line no longer includes fridges if you check their site. I think there may have been a serious flaw in the functionality of that design. Style (in spades!) over substance: our milk was constantly turning into yoghurt.

Also, while our fridge was under the extended Smeg warrantee, it was regularly being "repaired". Maybe these guys did actually repair it, but that would mean they've figured out something even Smeg couldn't.

ediewakefield

14-05-2012 03:33 PM

Interesting...I was told by someone working for Smeg at the Grand Designs fair yesterday that the Renzo was not being sold in the UK anymore but that Italy were still stocking it.

I will try Greenwich.

I am sorry that you had so many problems with your product.

Smeg should have given you a full re-fund! They would have done if they were a good company. I just had a full refund by John Lewis for an aerobed that I had, had for two years because of a fault with the manufacturing.

Perhaps you could contact Smeg with a list of all the dates/times you had it fixed over the years - perhaps even without the product, you can still appeal?

zoewhit

14-05-2012 03:45 PM

Oh, we certainly tried. It was a comedy of errors for a while between the appliance insurers and the manufacturers each skirting responsibility.

Our new fridge is from John Lewis. What it lacks in style, it makes up for in coolant. Thumbsup

ediewakefield

14-05-2012 03:50 PM

That sounds like a job for the citizens advice bureau/legal advice.

You will be very safe with John Lewis. I was amazed by them.

ediewakefield

14-05-2012 03:56 PM

You could try Robert Booth for the Guardian...
http://www.archdaily.com/198118/update-t...o-piano-2/

The Renzo Piano fridge, according to the guy at Grand Designs was designed by Renzo Piano - the architect for the Shard.

I am sure that the architect would be very unhappy to find that his name and design has led to purchasers of the Smeg Piano fridge, being unfairly treated!

It is a story that needs to be told, sadly.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Smeg mini range and exhaust hood, Bosch fridge and Bosch diswasher for sale RosieMc 0 2,665 02-06-2014 10:18 AM
Last Post: RosieMc
  Quality designer goddies for sale.. james wilcox 0 2,550 29-03-2014 02:52 PM
Last Post: james wilcox
  For Sale: 2 unique Giant Silk Designer Cushions/Throw - Selfridges Never Used Crofton1957 0 2,747 03-10-2013 08:05 PM
Last Post: Crofton1957
  Hing Designer Fish Cat Bowl For Sale Newbee1 1 3,359 28-02-2013 11:42 AM
Last Post: Newbee1
  Designer Modern Chandelier for sale £50 SE23 Sjoukje 0 2,816 05-04-2012 11:35 AM
Last Post: Sjoukje