SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Let's have a diagonal crossing in Forest Hill
nevermodern

15-01-2012 02:55 PM

Let's have a crossing like this down at the station, junction dartmouth, london and devonshire.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2009/...l-crossing

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

15-01-2012 04:52 PM

The crossing at Oxford Circus is indeed a thing of beauty.

Are there enough pedestrians at all times of day to justify a crossing like that in Forest Hill, though?

nevermodern

15-01-2012 05:24 PM

Don't know. Wonder whether it actually costs that much more to put in place than a normal crossing? It's the same amount of lights, they're just set differently, aren't they? Then it's just the central paving...

It would do wonders for 'unifying' the centre, I think, making crossing a gazillion time easier and safer.

They're planning to put another one in place at the Tottenham court road/new oxford st/charing x road axis, and I think it'll pretty much become the norm at busy 'greater than T' junctions over the next 10 years.

I think we should aspire to it. If we don't ask, we'll never get Smile

poolsneighbour

15-01-2012 05:45 PM

The one outside Balham station is likely to be more of the scale Forest Hill would be looking at...

rshdunlop

15-01-2012 09:43 PM

I think (just guessing) that the rephrasing of the traffic lights at the junction so it all stops would need some serious consideration as it would impact traffic flows on many surrounding roads. Oxford Circus is actually quite a simple junction, traffic-wise.

Perryman

17-01-2012 09:29 AM

Um, topologically this is a T junction. (Ever since the level crossing was closed).
What ever direction you need to go, means you only have one road to cross. Why would you wish to cross diagonally?

The main problem with this junction, brought up here every year for over 10 years, is they make pedestrians wait in the middle of the south circular outside WHSmiths for nearly one complete cycle of light changes.

This is an issue for drivers too as pedestrians will stream over this crossing through the gaps in the traffic rather than being taken hostage.

rshdunlop

17-01-2012 10:26 AM

There is a trend now to remove these central reservations and if the junction is ever redesigned I expect they would take it out. It has been shown that herding people behind barriers and on islands is more dangerous than allowing them to use their judgement. That would probably deal with most people's dissatisfaction with this junction.

nevermodern

17-01-2012 11:03 AM

Why would I want to go diagonally?

From the station to Barclays bank (I do this almost every day, crossing diagonally anyway).... From sainsbury's side on London Road to the Dartmouth Arms...

Londondrz

17-01-2012 02:01 PM

I would rather they stuck a camera to record the large amount of drivers who go through the red lights at the junction with the proceeds going to improve FH. Doubt it will happen but you never know.

Baboonery

17-01-2012 05:38 PM

The spritely can cross from the launderette to William Hill's via Barclays Bank in one big arc entirely on green men if they're willing to go outside the railings. It's one of the things I enjoy most about FH.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Petition: Pedestrian Crossing on Perry Vale by Forest Hill station BigED 7 9,080 03-06-2018 11:41 AM
Last Post: michael
  Do we need a pedestrian crossing on Perry Vale at the rear of Forest Hill station? hertburs 113 97,687 16-11-2016 07:51 AM
Last Post: hertburs
  Pedestrian crossing by Forest Hill Station (Perry Vale side) Shara 57 62,411 05-02-2012 08:12 PM
Last Post: Sherwood