SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Penge Fish Shop
orange

17-12-2011 06:32 PM

Hi all
just to let you know that there is a fantastic Fresh Fish Shop in Penge High Street close to Sainsbury. The selection of fish is incredible, a huge variety o see bream, bass, tilapia, mullet, clams, mussels , cockles and all the sea food possible. I have never seen anything like this in England before unless you to go to a seatown or to the fish market. Prices seem to be reasonable and staff are very friendly.
I make sure that I will order my fresh fish for th festivities as oon as possible. Give it a try. It will be very sad if shops like this disappear from high streets nearby us, because of large supermarkets. The fish counter at the Savacentre is nothing compared to this one.
Next freh fish shop is Moxton in Lordship Lane but that is more expensiv and not always you can get what you want.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbboy

17-12-2011 07:30 PM

And don't forget F.Sopers on Nunhead Lane who have been there for years and also offer a wide selection of fresh fish.

rshdunlop

17-12-2011 08:12 PM

And Billings on Sydenham Road. Much closer than Moxtons.

sydenhamcentral

17-12-2011 08:42 PM

I'll second Billings. Nice people, very knowledgeable staff and a great butchers too.

Penge High street may look a bit rough around the edges but it has some great businesses and really friendly people (from those I've met) and quite a good selection. Like Forest Hill and Sydenham (soon) it has a Sainbury's supermarket right in it's centre. Hopefully soon Penge will improve how it's shops look.

roz

18-12-2011 09:13 AM

Strangely I've always liked Penge High Street and its variety of shops. Must pop down there at some point.

orange

19-12-2011 01:11 PM

I haven't seen Billings shop yet. I will go there to see what they offer too. I do my shopping a bit around the area, whether is Forest |Hill, Sydenham, Penge or East Dulwich. However, East Dulwich seems to be more expensive. When we went to Penge during the week, last week, the fish shop was empty in the afternoon and I am worried that if people don't shop there, with sainsbury next door when fish looks like anything else, other than fish, it will be very difficult for the new shop owners to make a living. Let's give them a try and establish so e do not loose these shops around the area.

Mickey

19-12-2011 01:28 PM

I was hoping to read about great fish & chips!
Oh well..... but will definatley try the place out - thanks for the thumbs up!
Mickey

dbboy

19-12-2011 02:17 PM

I have used Sea Masters on Forest Hill road and also the Chippy opposite Forest Hill Station for fish and chips. [/u]Can recommend both.

orange

30-12-2011 12:49 PM

I did shop at the new Penge fish shop before Xmas. The fish was great. We managed to get some clams, and a few piece of fish but the prices were higher than expected. I hope they realize the area is not Chelsea and keep their prices down, otherwise no one will go there.
I also tried to shop at the little market stall in the high street for vegetables. I wanted a simple lettuce, but the woman on the stall asked me for an asronomical price, higher than Sainsbury and Waitrose. I walked away and went to the other etnic shop opposite near the 99 pence one and even there they were increasing their prices for their out of date vegetables! Can't they see that if you do that, people shop elsewhere?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  30 litre Tetra Fish tank with coldwater fish set up sweetie49 0 2,781 20-11-2014 05:44 PM
Last Post: sweetie49