SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Oyster Card
Sherwood

09-03-2008 07:02 PM

Does anyone know if I can use my Oyster card from Forest Hill railway station as a one-day off-peak travelcard? The first time I would touch an Oyster reader at London Bridge.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

09-03-2008 07:17 PM

I am fairly certain NO.
I believe Oyster cards are NOT valid for jouneys on Southern

thenutfield

09-03-2008 07:33 PM

Oysters are definitely not valid on trains from Forest Hill, nor can you top up your Oyster at FH Station.

Foresters

09-03-2008 08:32 PM

But your Oyster card can contain a weekly travelcard which would be valid from FH. In theory, you have to keep the paper receipt with the card - but it does mean you can 'touch' through LB and LU barriers.

davidbent

09-03-2008 08:50 PM

I use my Oyster all the time from Forest Hill. You cannot use the Pay as You Go without a machine to touch in and touch out, see these two links on TfL and Southern.

You certainly can use Oyster for weekly travelcards. I believe you can for daily ones too.

I think they are adding barriers to Forest Hill station. So, we will be able to do Oyster pay as You Go then.

ermsey1

10-03-2008 08:57 AM

Yes, Foresters & davidbent are right, you can definitely use travelcards on your Oyster from FH - its just pre-pay that won't work as there are no readers.

brian

10-03-2008 09:23 AM

Excuse my ignorance. I have pre paid Oyster Card. How can I use it on journeys from FH Station.

nevermodern

10-03-2008 10:21 AM

I've got a monthly zone 1-3 travelcard on Oyster and basically, at the moment, you just get on the train and swipe when you go through the barriers at London Bridge. The new barriers at FH, I believe, will have Oyster readers, though, so obviously then you'll swip at FH Smile

PVP

10-03-2008 10:42 AM

As above, you can use it is you have a weekly / monthly / annual ticket on the oyster, but not pre-pay.

Can you put a daily travelcard on an oyster? Not from Forest Hill, definitely, though you maybe able to add one at a newsagent. Can anyone confirm??

NewForester

10-03-2008 10:59 AM

This map shows that you cannot use Oyster Pre-Pay (PAYG) from Forest Hill at the moment. If you want further details about Pre-paid Oyster Cards then try National Rail's explanation

I believe that Southern was the last train operator to sign up to accepting Oyster once the East London Line extension opens. You will be able to use Oyster on the ELL and should be able to use Oyster to travel to London bridge (according to Jim Dowd MP)

Jim Dowd wrote:
he proposed extension of the East London line to my constituency and the London borough of Lewisham more broadly?and to places further south?is welcomed almost unreservedly, but I have requested this debate because I have to use the word "almost". The extension has implications that are not as desirable as the extension itself. As we have some of the most congested commuter lines in the whole country, hon. Members will understand the concerns of my constituents.

We also look forward to the as yet unannounced transfer of responsibility?I am sure that my hon. Friend the Minister will confirm it at some point, if not today?for the stations along the route of the extension from the train operating company, Southern, to Transport for London, with a subsequent programme of investment and improvement. In my constituency, that will involve Honor Oak, Forest Hill and Sydenham stations and, just outside it, Penge West, Anerley and Crystal Palace. We look forward to the improved standards of service and security for commuters that TFL provides for its stations, compared to the current operator.

The increased choice and services for commuters are completely desirable, and my constituents look forward to enjoying them. The expansion of the Oyster card system, which is more convenient and cheaper for people travelling around London, will also be welcome, and it will be extended to the over-ground Network Rail services into London Bridge. The extension of the East London line will also mean that many people will be able to avoid using zone 1, as they will be able to travel around the centre of London, instead of having to go through it. That will produce savings not only of time but also of cost for many people. My journey to the Palace of Westminster takes me from Forest Hill station to London Bridge, where I change to the Jubilee line and travel to Westminster underground station. At a meeting with London Rail last Monday, I pointed out that when the new line is operating I will be able to take the East London line to the Canada Water interchange on the Jubilee line and travel through London Bridge to Westminster. London Rail confirmed that the cost would be the same for either journey, so that will be of benefit to people travelling from my constituency and around London more generally.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Oyster card found in Derby Hill DerbyHillTop 1 3,975 13-09-2011 06:41 AM
Last Post: DerbyHillTop