SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Public Transport
lillam

24-11-2011 12:04 PM

[Moved from SE23 Topics > Jumping the barriers at HOP station]

Just for a little bit of balance:

-it wasn't that long ago that HOP had no barriers at all

-Transport in London is hugely expensive: I work full time at an admittedly not well paid job, and I pay 1/6 of my earnings to travel into town on a packed cattle truck train and tube.

The public through taxes pays 4 times more (adjusted for inflation) to subsidised privatised train companies than when the trains were nationalised (according to the national authority on trains, Christian Wolmar).

Operators are making huge profits off ticket prices, every year putting up double inflation fair increases. I resent these operators making huge profits for a public service: its them stealing my money, not the odd poor kid jumping a barrier.

- I dont know if anyone here has lived/lives on minimum wage or on the dole, but in this day and age you get priced out travel.

-traveling with no fare is stressful and difficult - you may dodge something here and jump something there, but if you're doing it regularly you regularly get caught, especially at bigger stations. I've travelled with no fare in the past (at a time when it was easier, pre-oyster), and it was out of necessity to make ends meet.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redalways

24-11-2011 12:25 PM

I remember Ken Livingstone's Fares Fair when fares were very low and Bromley council took the old GLC to court in order to increase the fares.

One thing Ken did, which at the time was revolutionary, was to bring in the Travelcard allowing travel on Bus rail and Tube from the samne ticket.

Jane

24-11-2011 01:19 PM

On subject of fare dodging, my son, who has an Oyster card, boarded a bus recently and swiped his card as usual. Apparently it didn't work though there was nothing wrong with his card so it must have been the equipment. An Inspector got on and issued him with a £25 fine and took his photo. Said it was his responsibility even if there was a fault with the equipment. He probably should have bought a ticket off the driver but didn't think of it.
The card is certainly working on station scanners.
Wouldn't mind but I will have to pay the fine as he has no money and I pay for his Oyster card and auto top-up.
Anyone had any experience of appealing such a situation?

Sherwood

24-11-2011 01:42 PM

I have got on buses where the machine was not working and the driver just waved me and everyone else past the machine. I don't see how you can be responsible if their equipment is not working.

brian

24-11-2011 06:41 PM

Did your son advise the inspector to talk to the driver. As someone said they know when cards/mschines not working and usually wave people through.

Jane

25-11-2011 01:19 PM

I don't know exactly what my son said to the Inspector but he probably didn't think of it and I suppose it's too late now. Just rather aggravating - at least he has now linked his Young Person's Railcard to the Oyster cards so the fares are lower on the train.
I'll tell him what to do in future if it happens again.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  UCL student - survey on feelings towards using public transport during and post Covid nmilford 2 4,549 02-07-2020 05:05 AM
Last Post: annsquire66
  dogs and public transport Mio 20 19,547 05-01-2011 12:44 PM
Last Post: brian