SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Crime and Punishment
gingernuts

20-10-2011 05:14 PM

[Split from SE23 Topics > Be careful when walking towards the station]

Thanks for the update. I'd like to see these scum bags caught and put in the stocks outside WH Smiths for all local residents to throw rotten fruit and scraps of off meat and fish at them. Public humiliation and few weeks in the cold and wet weather might act as a deterent from repeat behaviour.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

20-10-2011 06:23 PM

How far the country has gone down hill.

Yet if he was arrested I doubt if he would get a custodial sentance

gingernuts

20-10-2011 06:27 PM

Probably comes from a broken home, drug additiction and benefits culture. Will be sent on a rehabilitation course and youth trip somewhere nice for team playing activities with other bad boys.

brian

20-10-2011 06:31 PM

Surely robbery on the Queen's Highway with a knife should be minimum 10 years served

sandy

20-10-2011 06:37 PM

While not at all minimising the fear and threat and severity of such crimes, stocks on the village green and highwaymen sounds rather like we are going back to an earlier age of crime and punishment which incidentally reminds us that equally bad, if not worse, crimes were committed in the past. What about garotting, for example?

gingernuts

20-10-2011 06:40 PM

Just a good bit of discomfort and lashings of humiliation as punishment should be enough. I think you might be taking things a bit too far with the idea of garotting. But actually being threatened for your person goods by a man in a hood with a knife, sounds pretty much like highway robbery to me!

brian

20-10-2011 06:45 PM

Well said Gingernuts

What is wrong with Stocks. A good deal better than being knived in the street.

Why have our law enforcers become so soft.

Perryman

21-10-2011 09:41 AM

If this hoody was caught and put in the stocks, who would dare throw the first tomato/stone, with all his hoody mates in attendance?

I do like the idea of a village green though - they owe us a square of green along here to compensate for the park lost next to the old pools.

I suggest reinstating the front garden of the Dartmouth Arms - they could dig out the old canal under the bookies to make a nice pond, (useful for dunking witches.)

michael

21-10-2011 10:33 AM

I don't think that the Stocks is a suitable punishment for the crime of attempted robbery with a knife. Stocks should only be used for less serious/life threatening offences.

Following a crime against spelling committed by Brian I gave him the opportunity to serve his punishment in the stocks (see http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...1#pid32811), but he never turned up. As a result I can only conclude that this advocacy for stocks is only half-hearted and should be dropped. However, I have noticed that Brian's spelling has got better, so perhaps it has had the necessary deterrent effect afterall. Perhaps Brian can tell us if this threat has changed his behaviour substantially?

brian

21-10-2011 12:59 PM

Very amusing Michael. This is a very serious matter and many people seem to be very worried. Hardly a joking matter in my book.

Quite frankly hard to be optimistic with so many liberal laws and judges ( who tend not to inhabit the vunerable areas )

Cellar Door

21-10-2011 01:23 PM

Hi Brian,

Welcome back. I note that you have been not posting on this forum for sometimes up to 10 days at a time over the last few months. I hope that all is well? I’m glad to see that you are back on the keyboard now.

Anyway, I’m curious why you are taking the serious higher ground here but were happy to joke around on the thread with the three girls being investigated for nicking the mobile phone at Forest Hill Station?
This should take you to Post #4 of that thread, to remind you where you made a quip about the young suspects and their weight and the strength of the footbridge to support them.

That was also quite a serious matter for the young lady that was robbed. Why were you allowed to be funny there and Michael cannot lighten things up here?

I really do dislike it when you say one thing on one thread and then do the opposite on another.

What I most like about your posts is their consistency over the years. To me consistency sits with integrity.

michael

21-10-2011 01:37 PM

Let me quite clear for Brian, I do take knife crime seriously. The suggestion that the stocks is a suitable punishment, as I have said, is entirely inappropriate as it is not tough enough. In my opinion it requires a custodial sentence. Stocks (not that I would like to see them reintroduced) are far more suited to anti-social behaviour, well below the level of robbery at knife point.

brian

21-10-2011 02:14 PM

Michael I think we are broadly in agreement. I often here of knife crime suspects not receiving a long stay in prison.

Celler Door
Thanks for your kind words. Do not check site as often as I would like.

What a memory , I do indeed recall the three fat chavs on the bridge. I agree they were alleged to have committed a nasty crime but do not recall a knife being involved.
However they were scary I agree. I am not sure they could be qualified as members of the fair sex

Deano

22-10-2011 08:00 PM

Stocks were used to ridicule and shame lawbreakers and today I think that being totally humiliated by having garbage thrown at you is one of the few things that would actually hurt a teenage tough guy. However I don't really like the thought of people throwing stuff at others and feeling all superior whilst throwing a cabbage at a fellow human. It doesn't do it for me - but I like the idea of anti-social criminals being brought down a peg or two publicly instead of being given an ASBO which for some is a badge of honour.

brian

03-11-2011 04:30 PM

[Moved from 'Shooting in Forest Hill Road']

Not again
What is the UK coming to.

Must bring back the death penalty for premeditated killing

poolsneighbour

03-11-2011 04:30 PM

Agreed...

brian

04-11-2011 12:35 PM

I notice all the woolly liberals have kept quiet.

This is a disgrace and could not have made a better case for death for premeditated murder.
We all know the guilty party will probably walk out of prison in 5 or so years, when they have ended a life and threatened many others.
I am certain there has been a vast increase in murders since death penalty ended by obsure Welsh gent called Leo Abse in the late 60's.

robin orton

04-11-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:
I notice all the woolly liberals have kept quiet.

What did you hope they would be saying, Brian? I'd have thought everybody would be horrified by this tragic event.

andrewr

04-11-2011 01:07 PM

I've got this feeling that in the USA, where the death penalty is still available in most states, the murder rate is significantly higher than it is here. Whilst anything can be proved by suitable quoting of statistics, I don't think there is much evidence around that the death penalty has much impact on the murder rate - any more than imprisonment has much effect on the re-offending rate. I'd even hazard a guess that those who carry guns are much more likely to die by being on the wrong end of someone else's gun than they are to be convicted of murder themselves.

brian

04-11-2011 01:12 PM

I am talking about the UK and the murder rates prior to Wilson's government.

I do hope most of them shoot each other , but we cannot rely 100% on that policy working.

Why should someone have a right to life if they have intentionally ended someone elses. How about thinking of the victim .

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Criminal punishment brian 36 29,527 03-02-2011 11:53 PM
Last Post: robin orton