SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Garthorne - 60s terraced houses
Hopster

26-08-2011 12:23 PM

I'm considering a move into the late 60's terrace in Garthorne Road, backing onto the Nature Reserve.

Does anyone live there and could comment on potential problems or good points in the terrace/at that end of the road? Is it noisy? Any problems with anti-social behaviour around there? I like the area and it would be very convenient for the station. Thanks a million!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
squashst

26-08-2011 01:25 PM

I'm in Garthorne Rd but in the early 1900 properties (the 1960's terrace a result of a WW2 V1 I believe). I find the street very quiet, because the Honor Oak end of Garthorne Rd is shut off for through traffic. In general a very nice area. If being ultra picky the 60's terrace not overly close to supermarkets etc, but you're not far from Co_Op at Sydenham (or the JS). Good restaurants in HOP - and F Hill Centre close. So overall, reciommended I'd say.

Hopster

26-08-2011 01:49 PM

Thanks squashst. Yes, I like that it doesn't have that much traffic. I have a car, so distance to the supermarkets isn't an issue, and HOP has some nice little shops I guess. I was wondering about burglaries as well since there is access to the gardens from the nature-reserve side, but guess that risk is probably the same everywhere?

Bcm

27-08-2011 10:41 PM

I walk down garthorne daily on the way home and have never experienced a bad vibe about the road. That whole area of interlinked roads is very quiet and pleasant.

davidl

30-08-2011 08:59 AM

I'd echo what everyone is saying above. Is reasonably quiet, and you don't get that much passing traffic.

The good thing about that location is that you can walk to FH in the morning (if you're travelling at a busier time) and have more chance of a seat/decent place on the train.

Anotherjohn

31-08-2011 07:30 PM

Hello Hopster.

For what it's worth, I grew up in Agnew Road in the early seventies through to early eighties and a bunch of my friends lived in those houses, which meant I spent a lot of time there as a teenager. The four houses their families lived in were the first two on the left of the central alleyway, the second one along on the right and I think the second from that end. I remember all the houses to be good and homely with nobody ever having any issues - even up until about ten years ago when the last of my mates' parents moved out.

This has brought back some good old memories.

Hopster

10-09-2011 06:22 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the feedback and comments - all sounds very positive!

mrwandle

14-09-2011 10:46 AM

It’s a great road to live on – nothing anti-social to report apart from the odd dog turd, but even that seems to have cleared up a bit recently. Very quiet at night even at the front, the backs of the houses are extremely quiet due to 'nature reserve'. The 60’s houses seem like great value given what older houses go for as you move towards the station.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields