SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
London Road - safe?
HoneyDripper

17-08-2011 08:55 AM

Hello,

I'm a brand new member and thinking of moving to Forest Hill after many years in East Dulwich. I'm looking at a flat in one of the big Victorian houses opposite Sainsbury's on London Road - the house is in a quiet location (set back off the road) and I'm a little concerned about safety. Does anyone know if this area has a lot of (or more than usual) burglaries or similar crimes? I had a look at the police crime map, but couldn't really reach a conclusion...

Thank you!

Honey

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scootagal

17-08-2011 10:17 AM

Hi Honey

Not entirely sure - but after having been burgled in my lovely house in York (whilst we were in!) and then having bought a flat in Forest Hill that had been declared as being burgled - I don't think you can really judge a street on whether it has a lot of burglaries or not - I would say as long as you had all the necessary precautions in place - locks on windows / security systems - basically whatever you felt necessary for you to feel happy then I would say it was as safe as anywhere else Smile

canadianlisa

17-08-2011 10:54 AM

We live on the corner of London Road and have not had a problem with burgalries. My neighbours have told me that there has not been in a break in over 15 years. The fact that it is busy may deter people.

However, it is not quiet, even it is set back. Our house is also far back and it is very noisy, could not live in it without secondary glazing. Depends on your tolerance though.

HoneyDripper

17-08-2011 01:04 PM

Thanks for the advice, Scootagal and canadianlisa! I know that you have to take sensible precautions and that nowhere's totally safe. (FWIW, I've lived in SE London for over 20 years without incident.) I was really wondering about that particular location - wooded and a bit secluded.

brian

17-08-2011 02:14 PM

If I am thinking of the correct place it is a Mansion Block. Used to know an elderly lady who lived there.
Seemed to recall looked fairly secure but as said no where is 100%.

Also re noise I am talikng about 40 years ago and not to noisy then but more traffic about now.

NewForester

18-08-2011 09:06 AM

As others have said, being the South Circular, London Road is not a peaceful backwater. However, you soon get used to the background noise (it was only when the South Circular was closed last year that you noticed the difference - no sirens)

As for safety, there have been burglaries on London Road, but nowhere is immune. My wife feels safe walking to and from the station, although it can be a little lonesome after 10pm.

Satchers

18-08-2011 09:41 AM

I would email or call the Safer Neighbourhood Team

http://www.met.police.uk/teams/lewisham/.../index.php

When I've had questions previously (about the crime map mostly and what it means in terms of crime risk) I have contacted them and they have been very helpful.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Siddons Road safe? Arnika 2 3,422 15-09-2021 08:10 AM
Last Post: Arnika