SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fox Deterrents
Lok

07-08-2011 12:40 PM

Does anyone have a problem with foxes urinating in their garden? They even did it outside our front door last night and the smell was terrible. We've tried cleaning then using a deterrent spray but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions please? (that's legal of course!)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

07-08-2011 12:46 PM

There are too many foxes in SE23 because they have no predator.
Not sure what to recommend except killing it.

The Grange Gem

07-08-2011 01:17 PM

How do you know it was a fox who done it. Theres a couple of foxes who live around the back of my flat and I usually feed them because if they are happy the cause no problems.

A fox went into one of my neighbours garden and there was a staffie in the garden. The fox let out a high pitched sound and two large male foxes came to his aid. They signal to one another.

Staffies cause far more problems than foxes so the way I look at it is that it is a pity the foxes didnt get rid of it.

Sherwood

07-08-2011 01:18 PM

Contact the RSPCA. They can advise you what chemical to put in your garden to deter foxes.

Merlin

07-08-2011 03:08 PM

Apparently human urine is the best way of stopping foxes using your garden as a toilet.

Male urine is a more effective deterrent than the female kind. Ask the gentleman of the house to sprinkle his tinkle around the garden and you should have no further issues Rolleyes

I would suggest that the liquid is collected prior to distribution so that the neighbours don't get a shock!

Lok

07-08-2011 09:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Husband's very keen to leave his mark around the garden!! We know it's definitely a fox as we see so many in the evening and the smell is distinctive. I wouldn't mind them usually but I've got two young children so hate to see their small garden space used as an urinal!

Merlin

08-08-2011 06:13 AM

The idea of your garden being used as a urinal by either foxes or husbands is not nice - especially with children using the space.

If you google (or any other search engine) 'natural deterrents for foxes' you will probably get some more savoury answers that won't rely on strong chemicals.

Good luck.

Jane2

08-08-2011 01:44 PM

"How do you know it was a fox who done it. Theres a couple of foxes who live around the back of my flat and I usually feed them because if they are happy the cause no problems."

Grange Gem the smell of fox urine and faeces is very strong and distinctive and there is no way you can confuse it with another animal. We have foxes who leave their deposits at our house and allotment and I'd know that smell anywhere so I am sure the OP knows that it was a fox.

Feeding urban foxes just encourages more of them....

Merlin

08-08-2011 05:36 PM

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/en...foxes.aspx

From Lewisham Council Twitter page.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields