SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Knock-out music
Jon Lloyd

01-02-2011 09:34 PM

Anyone else listen to music at night specifically to make them fall asleep? I've amassed quite an artillery now (having had major sleep problems since the birth of my daughter two years ago), and, emboldened by the non-more-geeky audiophile over on se23 topics, I'm giving you my top 5 (album) list here to see if I might be missing anything:

Robin Guthrie and Harold Budd - Before dawn breaks
Hammock - Maybe they will sing for us tomorrow
Manual - Bajamar
Nick Drake - Five leaves left
Lambchop - Is a woman

I've never even heard the top three til the end so they definitely work.

In these days of job cuts, taxes, general world collapse and big issue sellers outside Forest Hill Sainsbury, I think we all need a bit of a relax. How do you do it?

Also, if any of you do put music on to go to sleep, how does this go down with your partners, who might not be so inclined....

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oryx

01-02-2011 09:54 PM

I used to like The Cocteau Twins Victorialand to go to sleep to.......

Jane_D

01-02-2011 10:24 PM

Anything on Radio Four, except the pips. I've slept peacefully through many a good 11pm comedy.

Jon Lloyd

01-02-2011 10:25 PM

Yes, the first track is enough for me. It's a beautiful record all-round. Similarly The Moon and the Melodies, but I seem to remember the very last track on that all of a sudden explodes and used to wake me up.

Poppy9560

01-02-2011 10:47 PM

I used to like The Cowboy Junkies and Mazzy Starr to go to sleep to but use Radio 4 now - is that a sign of old ageCrying

Jon Lloyd

02-02-2011 12:35 PM

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the Hope Sandoval album. That used to be a favourite too. Radio 4 is becoming a recurring theme though. Maybe they should stop doing the pips past 10.30?

psyche9

05-02-2011 09:49 AM

I find talking more soporific than music, so, yes, Radio 4 - except that if am having trouble sleeping it has become World Service by then. I used to listen to World Service on digital but they put on some kind of teaching resource at about 4am on digital only, complete with children bashing tambourines and singing Incy Wincy Spider - certain to wake me up again!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields