SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Proposed lock up of pedestrian gates into Honor Oak Park
PaperBagBadger

03-01-2011 05:47 PM

Perhaps people have seen the notice on the two pedestrian gates leading into Honor Oak Park Rec stating that Southwark Council are proposing to lock up the two pedestrian gates at dusk and not open them until 8 am. The reason they state this is necessary is because of some thefts in the cemetery. Currently, the larger gates are locked but not the pedestrian gates. This proposal will deny access to the early birds who walk their dogs, jog and train or people who access Honor Oak Park station across the playing field. In other words, all the legitimate users of the Rec whose presence makes it safer and less inviting for the antisocial few. The latter are unlikely to be kept out by locking two small gates! A fair few people (and their dogs!) met with Vikki Mills a local councillor before Christmas and voiced their concerns to her.
If you want to email SC directly, the contact is:
Paula.Johnston@SOUTHWARK.GOV.UK

This is the immediate problem but it is suggested that shortly Southwark Council will look to use the playing field for further burial use as they are saying that the current cemetery is almost full. Land for the living or the dead?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

03-01-2011 09:35 PM

They are already building an extension to the cemetary on the site next to the railway line. Are they now antipating the return of the Plague or something if they need so much more so quickly? Perhaps people are going back to burial rather than cremation. Personally I'd rather be cremated and scattered somewhere nice rather than spend the rest of my non existence ( a long time) in a damp piece of ground in south London.

PaperBagBadger

04-01-2011 04:43 PM

Should have said in my previous post - this is due to happen on 11th January, one week from today! The pedestrian gates which SC intend to lock up are not to the cemetery, they are to the seperate park/recreation ground. They plan to lock up a public green space when many people want to use it.

michael

04-01-2011 04:59 PM

Isn't it fairly normal to lock parks during the night to reduce anti-social behaviour?

Lewisham have a similar policy: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/LeisureAndCul...gTimes.htm

PaperBagBadger

04-01-2011 05:18 PM

May be, but Hilly Fields, Blythe Hill, One Tree Hill ..... are never locked up. And the antisocial behaviour in question is to the cemetery, not the Rec. Locking up is locking out the valuable 'eyes and ears' of regular users who quickly notice unexpected people or things happening.

robin orton

04-01-2011 05:19 PM

Michael said:

Quote:
Isn't it fairly normal to lock parks during the night to reduce anti-social behaviour? Lewisham have a similar policy...

If they do, it's not universally applied. Baxter Fields used to be locked at night, but it's now left open. A mixed blessing

suchalife

06-01-2011 10:04 PM

The lock up because of theft??
I think if there are people about ,they keep an eye out rather then locking up open spaces.

Im a dogwalker and take my dog out early in the morning at Honor Oak park recreaction ground and locking up the gates untill 8am is just a joke. I don't think think thieves are thinking
Hmm the gates are locked untill 8am so I have just a few hours left!

If people want to get in they get in anyway!

PaperBagBadger

16-01-2011 11:59 AM

OK, well in spite of well voiced opposition to this lock up to the appropriate people, it started last Tuesday. Trouble is, that the gates are not being unlocked at 8 am but well after. No good if you're on a time limit for getting to work and need to walk your dog in your closest green space. Also, on a few occasions noted this week, the larger cemetery gates have been opened but not the pedestrian gates which are right next to one another. So it seems like we may have two different bodies doing this, wasting their time and our money. Try talking to each other please!

new2honoroak

16-01-2011 05:25 PM

I'm afraid I think it's a good idea. We took our kids to the rec the other day and came across used condoms, discarded beer cans and a broken bottle. Plus came home with dog poo on our shoes. Having said that, Hilly Fields Park is never closed as there are no gates. They don't seem to have the same problems. Dog walkers also dispose of dog poo appropriately. Is it because it's cared for properly by the community and there's a park keeper?

PaperBagBadger

16-01-2011 10:16 PM

Sorry to hear about that experience but rest assured that the early morning users we know would not have discarded used condoms or broken bottles and certainly pick up after their dogs! And locking all the gates up nice and secure will hardly deter the al fresco fornicaters, boozers and litterbugs! I've seen park keepers doing an early morning rubbish pickup with their tongs on Hilly Fields so sad to say, I think it goes on everywhere.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields