SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Care in the community?
lillam

20-01-2008 05:10 PM

Can someone tell me a bit mnore about the 'care in the community' type buildings in HOP? I know nothing about them, so apologies if this is incorrect terminology.

I'm refering to the two buildings, one on Garthorne ROad, and the other on the corner of Ackroyd+Brockley Rise.

Thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hoppy

20-01-2008 07:25 PM

where on GArthorne?

shzl400

20-01-2008 07:29 PM

I know there are several "community" buildings at the end of Ackroyd Road - there's a hall and the nursery (which I went to check out when I was looking for places for my children and was not impressed!)

There's also some kind of hostel opposite St. Dunstan's in Catford (Ok, that's a bit out of our range)

I'd also be interested to hear more.....

Sooty

20-01-2008 08:02 PM

The building on the corner of Ackroyd and Brockley Rise is Honor Lea hostel - it's been there for many years and provides accommodation for people with long term mental health problems.

lillam

20-01-2008 10:34 PM

Sooty wrote:
The building on the corner of Ackroyd and Brockley Rise is Honor Lea hostel - it's been there for many years and provides accommodation for people with long term mental health problems.

Thanks for that information - certainly some of the residents have been living here for many years, and I was never sure what the nature of Honor Lea was.

Snazy

21-01-2008 04:20 PM

Ironic or what but the house next door to me, before sold to the developers was a Care in the Community house.
We were never notified by anyone of what it was, not even the council, until the caretaker of the property mentioned it one day.
Drug rehabilitation, and people with other minor mental illnesses were housed there to get them back in the community.
Having people sneeking up my alley at night trying to be let in at the rear of the house for "parties" was never very pleasing.

lillam

25-01-2008 01:53 AM

Care in the Community is a funny phrase - unfortunately, as a community I dont feel we are in much of a position to provide any care. I know thats not really what Care in the Community means - it means 'not in a hospital', but still....

It strikes me that a lot of the people living in the Lea and other building are definitely not in a state to work, and probably living off very meagre hand outs.

Perhaps this wouldn't be very practical, or maybe even wanted, but i think it would be nice if we, as a community, could give something back to these neighbours of ours.

I've had my fair share of contact with mental health problems, and it really can be a scary thing to go through - particularly without a loving support network. I think it would be great if the wider community could make an appropriate gesture of support (there's probably a danger of being condescending, amongst other pitfalls.)

Maybe some kind of fundraising event? Probably would be best to appraoch staff there first and see what might be appropriate.

Anyhow, perhaps this is something to consider at future Foret Hill Society or Honor Oak Park Residents Assosciation meetings if anyone is interested?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields