SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Known shoplifters in FH
roz

18-01-2008 04:32 PM

I think someone posted some time ago about some unkempt drunken individuals in FH town centre (nothing to do with the Big Issue) becoming a problem. Today some people fitting that description came into Boots when I was there, three of them, two men and a woman, all clearly worse for wear, either drugs or alcohol or both. They hovered around an area away from the counter and were fearlessly shoplifting . The staff said they were scared of them but were powerless to do anything. They regularly shoplifted but although it was all captured on cctv, nothing was ever done to arrest them. I understand that there have been attempts to have them banned from the town centre, presumably on some anti social behaviour order, but nothing has been done. Meanwhile, Boots and other shops continue to lose stock and the staff remain feeling at risk. To have something so blatantly go on in broad daylight brings an extra dimension to crime as it reinforces the view that there is no fear of retribution. It also seems odd given the recent increase in police presence in Forest Hill .

I would appreciate if the FH SNT could advise on this matter, either openly on this forum, or by PM. I have also copied this to them by PM.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vipes

18-01-2008 05:30 PM

Sound like it might be the same girl that beg 50ps around Sainsbury's car park and Davids Road. She disappears for a while (sectioned/rehab/custody?) and then reappears - looking iller each time. Just one sorry example of the disenfranchised underclass Blair was so concerned about?

A long way from your world I suspect Roz - yet enjoying the same taste in shops!

loca

18-01-2008 05:50 PM

the two outside Barclays are very rude (to be polite) they have a few times shouted obesities at me as I passed them. They make the bench a "no go area" for others, especially in the summer.

bigbadwolf

18-01-2008 06:12 PM

Refering to your comment on an asbo for these individuals. My cousin used to work for Lewisham council and she told me that these banning orders are only really enforced against people who have a history of violence or street gang affiliation, not drunks. Very public spirited of you roz but you only have to look at catford and lewisham to see where the police's attention is focused. I don't think anything's going to happen soon but I hope you prove me wrong.

hilltopgeneral

18-01-2008 08:03 PM

Loca, I'm sorry to hear they have shouted obesities at you, but perhaps they are trying to tell you something? Many of us overindulge over the festive period, but come the New Year it's time for a resolution - get down the gym, lay off the pies.

loca

18-01-2008 10:35 PM

obscenities.....

roz

19-01-2008 09:07 AM

A long way from your world I suspect Roz - yet enjoying the same taste in shops!
[/quote

I'm not sure what world people think I inhabit; I work in the field of housing and homelessness and have done so for 20 years, including front end stuff. I'm still shocked though to see people so blatantly shoplifting so easily in front of everyone and no one doing anything about it along with the staff saying that these three regularly clear the shelves. However given the relative low cost of most items in this branch of Boots the firm have probably taken the view its cheaper to let stuff be nicked it than finance the security guard. Its a shame that the staff are left clearly working in fear, and it doesnt make for a comfortable shopping experience either.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields