SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Primary school places
roz

13-09-2010 12:43 PM

Hi, I've heard that there is a lot of pressure on local primary schools at the moment with some having to have 'bulge' classrooms constructed for this term, and that many local children did not get into their local schools and have to travel some way. I don't know the facts of this but would like to find out whether it can be substantiated. It would also be good if local councillors could advise where there might be scope for expansion particularly in south Lewisham, and whether there are any firm plans or forecasts available.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ForestHillier

13-09-2010 12:53 PM

Sadly roz, I think this is a nationwide problem, well it certainly is in London, believe it is the same for the secondary schools

roz

13-09-2010 01:07 PM

Hi there, I was thinking of some specific information on local schools themselves.

ForestHillier

13-09-2010 01:27 PM

Sorry Roz, hopefully Lewisham Council may be able to help, yet possible that they cannot disclose such sensitive info at present

michael

13-09-2010 01:42 PM

There were a number of planning applications over the summer for additional 'modular' classrooms from Lewisham primary schools.
http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/lewis-xsl....pgesearch

Satchers

14-09-2010 09:19 AM

Are any of these schools in Forest Hill?

Satchers

14-09-2010 09:26 AM

It would be interesting to know if anyone has experience of not getting a school place at any of the schools that they applied to and that are near to them?

I know this is a real problem in the area of Southwark/East Dulwich to the west of the Horniman Museum. But everyone I know got a place at a local school in the end through the waiting lists or through people being offered places not taking them up.

I don't know to what extent this is a 'real' problem. Any one any first hand experience?

None of the Lewisham Schools in Forest Hill that I know have applications for temporary bulge classrooms but it could be others that I don't know?

roz

14-09-2010 10:37 AM

Sorry, Michael, I can't open that link, or at least nothing comes up.

Satchers, good questions; for me also its more of finding out whats really happening on the ground. I know that one local school with a bulge classroom for this reception year whilst taking 90 pupils also turned away 300. Its not clear how many of those 300 lived fairly locally and hence had a high expectation of getting a place or whether they lived further away and just fancied a punt due to the schools good reputation or whether they were only out by a few metres and have to send their child to a school much further away. I do know that that bulge class also contained around 30 siblings which was probably a record but it would be good to know the forecast stats for future years; as we know from sheer observation Forest Hill is burgeoning with young pre school children.

ForestHillier

14-09-2010 12:08 PM

what baffles me is where have all these children come from,, didnt have these problems when i was at school inthe 70,s, then again the population of the uk has risen very largely since then

it must be a very hard one to sort for the councils/schools admission

roz

14-09-2010 12:31 PM

I think it might be to do with the attractive environs of Forest Hill with people deciding to settle and have families here!

Its probably a real headache for local councils as is planning ahead accurately for any demographic. The census is next year, wonder what that will tell us about the UK population!

brian

14-09-2010 12:40 PM

I have very little faith in the census giving a true picture. Not like in the past when people took it very seriously.

Increased young children caused by two factors.
Increased birth rate amongst native population
Excessive immigration.

Not sure how Councils can be expected to keep pace with ever changing statistics.

I do trust that if any children fail to get a place it is the recent immigrants who suffer first.

roz

14-09-2010 12:50 PM

The facts is that an increase in the younger population is needed in order to keep you in a pension, Brian.

Do you feel the same way about all these British expats moving off in retirement to France and Spain and pushing up property prices there so that the locals can't afford a home?

brian

14-09-2010 12:58 PM

If that is the case Roz why have we got so many Neets.

I have no problems with Britons leaving us to retire as long as they stay there ( do not come back when infirm ) and also they should NOT be entitled to UK pension. However should be up to the countries concerned as to whether they allow them in or not , should not be our decision.

Satchers

14-09-2010 01:24 PM

The big change is that a lot more people stay in London when they have children, rather than moving out which a lot used to do. Partly in response to the quality of schools, which in some areas were the reasons for departure. A lot of this can probably be put down to the increased interest in living in cities and money going into a broad range of facilities, access to arts and culture, jobs etc over the past decade or so.

It is the opposite of the problem in the 1980's/1990's when Councils were closing schools, particularly at Secondary level because there just weren't the children around for them.

It is an issue across the whole of South London (and probably other parts too) and particularly the areas that Estate Agents say are very family friendly e.g. Forest Hill, Herne Hill, East Dulwich....

Satchers

14-09-2010 01:26 PM
roz

14-09-2010 02:17 PM

Thanks, Satchers. Interesting and probably very positive for any primary school teachers out there and anyone working in the field of building new schools despite government cutbacks.

Brian, I have no idea what or who 'Neets' may be and am not about to Google to find out in case I end up on the BNP website.
Your usual logical approach is applied to this argument as it tends to be to most I see.

Interesting that you think people should not be able to receive their UK pension wherever they choose to live. I think that is perfectly acceptable as it their decision to return to the Uk for any care or medical treatment at any point of their lives. If people apply for residence elsewhere of course they won't be entitled to do that as they have to forgo that.

Anyway, the primary school places issue is very interesting!

Satchers

14-09-2010 02:17 PM

Admin
Why has this been moved?
It is a discussion about which schools in Forest Hill are oversubscribed?
How is this not a SE23 discussion?

roz

14-09-2010 02:24 PM

I did originally entitle it ' primary school places in se23'. If it broadens out to a general national theme with the assistance of Brian that probably can't be helped, but the original objective was to get the discussion going on local schools' capacity issues.

admin
Administrator

14-09-2010 02:31 PM

Satchers, as you stated yourself, it's not solely an SE23 issue.

Satchers wrote:
It is an issue across the whole of South London (and probably other parts too) and particularly the areas that Estate Agents say are very family friendly e.g. Forest Hill, Herne Hill, East Dulwich....

brian

14-09-2010 02:36 PM

Sorry Roz
I assumed you would know Neets as often refered to in newspapers and radio 4, and by Government Ministers.
Refers to Under 25's Not is employment or education. My conclusion as there are over 500,000 of them we have enough workers already. This differs from your conclusion that the more children we have would help pay my pension, a pension by the way I probably will not benefit from

Your ref to BNP is sick. Why is anyone who has a slightly different view from you has to be catergorised as belonging to an extreme organisation.

I am sorry children are having problems getting into primary school. Simple solution make classes bigger. Mine were at least 40.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Calling historians - Brockley Primary School chezbubbles 15 11,726 30-01-2016 07:11 AM
Last Post: AndyLawrence
  Prendergast Primary School - Ladywell Fields vnicholls 0 3,586 29-10-2014 09:41 AM
Last Post: vnicholls
  Primary School for Crystal Palace Park michael 1 4,478 15-10-2014 12:52 PM
Last Post: rshdunlop
  Primary School Advice LittlePickleHead 17 20,647 14-02-2013 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  Primary School allocations GreenGrass 62 67,948 02-10-2012 01:36 PM
Last Post: hoona
  New primary school for Lewisham? fhmum 110 106,051 16-01-2012 10:59 AM
Last Post: pebble
  Secondary school places tabba012345 0 2,754 02-03-2011 01:37 PM
Last Post: tabba012345
  Cost of Primary School Education. brian 14 12,386 29-09-2010 04:25 PM