SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Arthur Dorrell
SE23Fan

12-11-2009 11:33 PM

Does anyone have any information on Arthur Dorrell or Dorrell Bros Ltd? I'm trying to source photographs and hopefully original plans for houses he designed and built in Forest Hill.

I've been to Lewisham archives today and managed to view the original planning submission but it had very little detail.

Many thanks in advance!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ex FH Pat

13-11-2009 02:18 PM

I believe he built the flats in London Road where i once lived [ the park & park hill ], there used to be a hall called Dorrell Hall along London Road, just across the road from Sainsburys i think it was - used to have some good christmas parties in there, hope this helps in some way

stevegrindlay

13-11-2009 08:43 PM

Jad Adams, who still lives in one of the Dorrell buildings, wrote an excellent book called "A History of Kings & Princes Garth", published in 1993. You may have seen a copy in the Lewisham Local History Centre. Although the book concentrates on 19-21 London Road it also describes in some detail the development of the Dorrell estate around Taymount Rise.

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields