SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Hashemite Kingdom of............
brian

22-10-2009 11:40 AM

Are there any other readers who get anoyed when seeing a headline about ( Jordan ) on reading it to find some rubbish about so called celebrity rather than interesting article about The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
How low has our educational system got.

I do not recall people called Democratic Republic of Congo or Honduras, so when did this becaome a Christian name.

Surely we should adopt the German system when you have to choose from an approved list for names.HMG should issue an approved list.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Contrary Mary

22-10-2009 05:15 PM

I sympathise. I too wish the silly woman would find some other way to earn a living than selling her every temper tantrum to a newspaper...

But the name is merely unfortunate. Christians who wish to name their child after the river in which Jesus was baptised, the crossing of which has symbolic significance because it marked the end of the forty years of wandering for the Hebrews of the Exodus, and their entry into the "Promised land", and which has featured in many Christian folk songs, have been doing so for some decades. It is an accepted forname, and these days, not even an unusual one - at least not for boys, although it is considered unisex.

brian

22-10-2009 05:52 PM

Hello Mary
I apologise I had missed the Biblical connection , silly me. But there do seem some strange Christian names about now adays. When I was at school most were biblical (, Peter , Paul , Mary etc ) must admit I was an exception. Though Brian seems to have vanished in younger people , I am forever explaining I am not Ryan.

roz

22-10-2009 07:52 PM

You're reading the wrong paper, Brian.
I have never seen her name headlining the Guardian or the Times. Or even the Voice, the Pink Paper, the Radio Times, Herald Tribune, the Telegraph, the Financial Times, New York Times, the Observer.... the list of Jordan free gossip is endless.... and I doubt whether she has any biblical connections...

Contrary Mary

22-10-2009 09:35 PM

Amen to that, Roz! Smile (tho avoidance would be even easier if she didn't feature as a "celebrity freak-show" reference on so many quiz shows...)

And Brian: No probs. Naming conventions change, but some things remain consistant. It's never just been the slebs who use place names... eg: Kerry, Shannon, Ross, Lewis, Harris, Rhona and Everton are all long established. It wouldn't surprise me if there were examples of Jordan as a personal name which pre-date even the creation of the British mandate of Trans-Jordan (also named for the river). As you have almost pointed out yourself, you might not have made an "approved list" a few years back! Makes you quite a bit more exotic than the lady in question, really. Laugh

ryananglem

23-10-2009 08:43 AM

Its interesting that you should be forever explaining that you are not Ryan. When I was young, Brian was a far more popular name and I was forever explaining that I was not Brian. I quite like this new world order.

Johnc

23-10-2009 09:35 AM

Brian

You do have a biblical connection since I always thought that Brian Cohen was the messiah, although there is an alternative school of thought that he was just a very naughty boy

Ex FH Pat

23-10-2009 09:48 AM

No Brian Clough was the messiah - who then passed that mantle onto Jose Morinho

brian

23-10-2009 01:59 PM

I do read the Daily Telegraph and of course only listen to Radio4 , but even in those mediums the infamous Jordan seems to be mentioned.
As someone said the much more interesting ex Ottoman Empire , British Mandate now Sovereign Kingdom , seems to be ignored.

The passion in the media for so called celebrities is a disgrace to the United Kingdom.

Ex FH Pat

23-10-2009 02:05 PM

It certaintly is Brian - yet very sadly it sells papers and mags - i should know as i work for a mig publishing company

Jordan aka Katie is hardly an example to the children is she, then people wonder why they then join gangs and stab & shoot each other

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields