SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Mobile Telephone Etiquette
brian

14-09-2009 02:23 PM

I am becoming concerned regarding a certian increase in rudeness in society partly caused by the above device.
I heard in last few days that someone refused to serve anyone using one of the devices whilst expecting a service. Well done that person. Surely it is the height of rudeness not to give someone who is giving you a service 100% of your attention.
I have a non stationary telephone but would not dream of using it whilst hoping for service at a shop , bar etc.
Also nearly collided with two ladies ( give them the benefit of the doubt ) who were walking along The Queen's Highway Pavement in conversation not looking in front at all. It seems to be up to those walking towards these persons to take avoidance action.
Am I alone here.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Happysnapper

15-09-2009 01:57 PM

I agree with you that it is rude to be on a phone whilst buying things (for example). Not only is it rude to the person serving but also rude to the person on the other end of the phone! I have certainly been guilty of this on occasion in the past and now either end the conversation before I get to the till, or only carry it on under extreme circumstances.

It's just not necessary to be glued to a phone all the time!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

16-09-2009 08:51 AM

Thanks for your comments
I get especially anoyed about people on mobiles when they enter a bus and treat the driver as though he or she was not there. Surely it is polite to say goodmorning etc when entering the bus.

nevermodern

16-09-2009 11:33 AM

It's one of my pet hates: going into a shop and the entire transaction takes place without a word from the fella behind the counter, who's on the mobile talking to someone else the entire time. Drives me bonkers.

Mind you, with bus drivers it works both ways: you often barely get a nod from them, never mind a hello Mad

Snazy

17-09-2009 09:22 AM

Loud conversations on the bus annoy the hell out of me. Shop keepers on the phone (in their native tongue) while rudely taking my money and throwing change at me also annoys me.

I agree though that using a phone in ALL public places has become far too common, and can be rather irritating.

My latest pet hate is people who use the phone while at the gym. Grrrr! Cursing

Cellar Door

17-09-2009 10:23 AM

We do need guidance from Debrett's New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners.

Debrett?s guidance suggests that when people cannot escape the banality of your conversation, such as on the train, you should spare them.

SE23 citizens are clearly people who carry a copy of Debrett?s with them and operate in a higher social circles and the higher levels of social consciousness and awareness.

I know this because I?ve observed that the most courteous of people do go into the area of the train near to the doors away from others when possible to make and receive their mobile phone calls. And these people ALWAYS get off and on at Honor Oak Park or Forest Hill.

Well done! SE23 is a beacon of light in a darkening world.

Cellar Door

17-09-2009 10:35 AM

Oh, in case you have mis-placed your copy of Debrett's New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners then here is a handy linkage to their guidance on Mobile Phone Etiquette.
We must always remember that Debrett's is the modern authority on all matters of etiquette, social occasions, people of distinction and fine style. And also remember that The Queen gives a copy to all her children each Christmas so that they are on best behaviour when she is not around to supervise.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields