SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fusion - Forest Hill swimming pool
BigED

05-09-2016 04:25 PM

By the reports on another local forum, the replacement of Fusion as the operator of East Dulwich Baths has coincided with an improvement in cleanliness of the water, pool surround and changing rooms. Before I consider handing over my money to join in FH, does anyone know when Fusion's contract with Lewisham is up for renewal/retendering? The comments on FH pool seems quite similar to the one in ED... I'm trying to be careful what I wish for though.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nottinghillbilly

06-09-2016 09:51 PM

I personally will not join FHP unless fusion lose the contract and it goes to the same company that have taken over Southwark.
The pool and toilets/changing-rooms are filthy.
And the offer of group exercise classes is pitiful.
I don't know when the contract is up for renewal but I certainly would wait until then.

Poppy9560

07-09-2016 09:16 AM

I had an e-mail from Fusion inviting me to join for a year with 25% off-I did consider it but am really unhappy with FHP, having only 2 showers we can use in privacy is a disgrace, and I don't like the shared changing rooms. The lanes are too narrow for the ladies only swim on Saturdays.

I'm much happier with Glass Mill. I think Glass Mill is also Fusion so I'm not sure why the difference in quality, it may be down to the staff, or in the case of rubbish the pool users!

BigED

08-09-2016 10:49 AM

Shame - FH pool is much more convenient than Glass Mill for me - but cleanliness and basic hygiene are quite important to me. Does Lewisham Fusion membership let you use any of the pools in the borough, or do you have to join a specific one?

robin orton

09-09-2016 09:06 AM

I haven't noticed any shared changing rooms. And why, out of interest, do people need lots of private showers?

AMFM

09-09-2016 10:38 AM

The shared changing rooms (one for me and one for women) are on the left hand side, about halfway down.

I have no particular preference re cubicle versus open change but can understand why some people might (there is one private shower in the women's changing room as well as two open ones).

I can understand entirely why someone might want to use a private shower - I'm not particularly self conscious about my body but I do prefer to use the private showers at FHP - more because I don't really want to parade around naked and bump into one of my neighbours - mucho embarrassing...

michael

09-09-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:
The shared changing rooms (one for me and one for women)...

That's so sexist, if women can have one, why can't men?
And the one just for you is hardly 'shared'
Wink

nottinghillbilly

21-10-2016 07:04 PM

Just re-opening this thread really having reached the end of my tether with FHP.
Cancelled classes, ill informed reception staff,filthy changing rooms, slimy water, filthy stinking poolside Ladies toilets....I could go into detail but I won't.
I finally gave up on my local fusion-run centre and joined the Dulwich centre run by the new company-having seen the vast improvement and investment made in new equipment and general cleanliness since they took over.
Just wondering if any of our local councillors or those in the know have any idea if Fusions contract with Lewisham is likely to be continued when it comes up for renewal?

robin orton

23-10-2016 11:34 AM

Quote:
I finally gave up on my local fusion-run centre and joined the Dulwich centre run by the new company

More room at FH for us satisfied customers then!

nottinghillbilly

23-10-2016 04:11 PM

If You're satisfied you obviously haven't experienced the run of cancelled classes myself and others have, Ill informed staff ...I rang on Thursday to ask if my class was going ahead as it has been cancelled due to lack of a teacher for weeks on end-no effort to find a stand-in teacher by the way-
Reception said they'd go and check, checked-returned and told me yes, the class would indeed be happening.
Cue me-rushing back from work in the west end, skipping break to get out earlier and guess what? I arrived at the desk to be told the class was indeed cancelled.
The changing rooms and showers are grubby and sometimes smell of pee and have crumbs in them.
Poolside loos stinking and filthy. Toys and food waste strewn over the sofa viewing area.
And in two years of going to the centre and various management changes I've seen no improvement, and NO CLEANER ever in attendance in the changing and toilet area.
I don't expect luxury but I do expect basic levels of hygiene and safety.
The changing area floor is wet and slippery, and the lifeguards show zero interest in actually controlling kids divebombing and playing with balls in the pool.
rant over..microphone put down.
I find it sad that a new community focussed centre like this which we as council tax payers contribute to should be so badly managed.

This post was last modified: 23-10-2016 04:12 PM by nottinghillbilly.

sandy

24-10-2016 11:19 AM

Went for a swim on Friday morning and this morning and all was tidy and clean. I only visited the toilet near the reception desk so don't know about the others and I haven't ever noticed any pee smells. All hairdryers working and there have not been any toys available for a while when I have been there.

Still some issues - too few showers and often the water flow seems wasteful as it does not stop at intervals. No overshoes available Friday or today.

In general it is down to the users and there could perhaps be more intervention to enforce use of overshoes (however they have to be there!), removal of pushchairs from the changing area and getting people to clear away litter (mostly present after family sessions).

Having said all of that, purely as a pool user, I really like my swimming there and the pool is great.

I don't know about classes.

I also think it is worth contacting the manager with complaints.

BamptonRoad

24-10-2016 04:38 PM

Clearly a split in opinion between those who use the pool early in the morning and those who use it in the afternoon. Obviously some of the users are inconsiderate and selfish in leaving their mess behind them.

nottinghillbilly

25-10-2016 10:00 PM

I must confess I have never used the pool in the morning and tend to be an early evening user so admittedly cleanliness will deterioate in the course of the day.
Ive emailed the management directly regarding cancelled classes months ago however received no response.

kipya

24-06-2017 05:13 PM

This is an old thread but I wondered whether anyone had seen anyone else using the blue overshoes?

I have seen teachers with them on, but oddly not the 20 children they have with them. I haven't seen any other adults use them either, but perhaps it's just me.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields