SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Taymount Grange Planning Proposal
Ciej

23-05-2015 09:20 PM

Has anyone heard about the planning proposal for Taymount Grange? We got a leaflet through our door recently (I'll try to upload it) and it looks like they're going to build on the Eastern part of the site. Has anyone heard about this?

It's directly adjoining my back garden so clearly I am directly affected, but even if it were not I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be in favour of it. It looks like they're going to dramatically alter the character of a lovely 1930s art deco building.

I'd welcome people's thoughts on this, i.e. whether they think it is sympathetic to the character of Taymount Grange or an overdevelopment that will detract from one of the nicest buildings in the area. Either way, I think they're probably culling too many trees so they can building something as big as they can...

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  taymount grange pre-planning consultation.pdf (Size: 570.07 KB / Downloads: 942)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ciej

23-05-2015 09:21 PM

I should add that, if people think I'm being a NIMBY, let me know. I always promised myself I'd never be one!

nottinghillbilly

25-05-2015 07:27 PM

First I've heard of it and I'd definitely be against the development.
The loss of the trees would be awful not to mention the loss of privacy and light to the houses and flats overlooking the new block.

nickfh

26-05-2015 09:41 AM

I'm the chairman of the resident's association for Taymount Grange and we've been in discussions with the freeholders for a number of months over the proposed development. At this point we've been trying to influence the design of the building to minimise the impact on our building and our neighbours. We intend to work hard to prevent its construction once planning permission has been lodged, and if that's not possible, minimise its size and influence.

I will update this thread with any further updates I receive.

Nick

michael

26-05-2015 10:16 AM

I was sent proposed designs last year as chair of the Forest Hill Society. My main concern was the proximity of the new building to Forestholme Close. It appears that the latest designs have increased the space from the new building to Forestholme Close (by locating the parking on the side, rather than between this block and Taymount Grange). I recommended they include a daylight/sunlight assessment that will make it clearer what loss of light will be associated with this block, both to Forestholme Close and to existing residents of Taymount Grange, who I suspect currently enjoy a rather impressive view of South London / Kent.

I suggested that while this redevelopment takes place, the developer finds the necessary funding to create a new pedestrian exit from the site towards Derby Hill Crescent (with appropriate security measures). I suspect that a lot of residents on Taymount Grange would object to this unless carried out very carefully, but families with children on Taymount Rise would appreciate better access to the school, pool, and library. I made the point that this was clearly self-interest on my part, rather than representing the views of the wider community.

Nickfh and Ciej,
I live in Grassmount and I'm happy to offer any help I can to considering this proposal. I can't say I completely oppose the idea of building on this location, but if something is built here it should be an appropriate height and design to satisfy neighbours. And if it can be of benefit to the wider community (without upsetting existing residents), then that would be most welcome.

If you wish to get in contact off the forum you can email me at michael@fhsoc.com

Ciej

26-05-2015 12:05 PM

Thanks Michael - very much appreciate your comments and I'll drop you a line.

I can't see from the leaflet whether they listened to your request to add in the access you were suggesting. I couldn't see it, but then maybe I'm missing something?

michael

26-05-2015 12:40 PM

They didn't add any access to the rear of the site, which is a missed opportunity in my opinion. I've been trying to find a improved route through to Eliot Bank for 35 years.

nottinghillbilly

26-05-2015 06:41 PM

We live on ForestHolme close and my anxieties echo those that Michael has mentioned.

Loigal

02-06-2015 10:16 PM

I've a selfish fear of families filing the 2/3 bedders to access the ever decreasing Eliot Bank catchment. But I don't suppose that is the target audience or think that is in any event a legitimate argument against the proposal. London needs more homes and more schools!

trevskirevski

29-11-2015 12:17 PM

Does anyone know what the status of this planning application is? I can't get onto the Lewisham portal?
TIA

Herbparis

30-11-2015 07:43 PM

The residents on Eliot Bank (Forest Estate) have just been consulted about the Proposal private residential 7-15 storey Tower Block on the community green and also social housing on the residents car park and old garages at Knapdale Close with little or no additional car parking for the new development

Proposed New Homes at Eliot Bank & Knapdale Close
http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12069

I have set up an Facebook Group consisting of concerned residents
https://www.facebook.com/groups/931708986865192/

Have the residents in the surrounding properties (Foresthomle Close) been included in the consultation?, has an ecology survey been done especially for bats as there is a possibility that they are using the tree lines for feeding?

nottinghillbilly

30-11-2015 07:51 PM

We live on Forestholme close and haven't been consulted at all about any of this.
I would be against it for sure.

Herbparis

30-11-2015 09:08 PM

The Lewisham Planning application number is Ref. No: DC/14/88125

http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-a...CAPR_74957

Its look like the developers have not done any consultation yet, they put the application in July 2014

This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 09:08 PM by Herbparis.

FrenchSE23

01-12-2015 02:55 PM

I am totally against the development. We recently moved to Derby Hill and love the privacy our house offers. The development would mean that our garden - and many others - would be overlooked by 22 flats (dragging house prices in the area down dramatically!). A massive block stretching over the length of 5 gardens, towering over the tree line (that is, if there are any trees left by the time the block is built!) and blocking the light would make the whole area feel really claustrophobic. Also many people moved into this area to secure a place at Eliot Bank for their kids, and 22 new families moving in the catchment area are definitely going to compromise their chances. I also feel sorry for the surrounding townhouses and existing blocks of flats (Taymount Grange) as the lovely view stretching over Kent they now enjoy will be completely spoiled. I cannot see anything positive about this development, only too many people trying to fight for light and space on a tiny piece of land: a recipe for disaster and misery.

robbrockley

01-12-2015 05:53 PM

I can see your point French but I think you miss the positive that this block would provide significant additional housing in the area at time when we have a desperate need for homes. I'm sure the people who move in will be very grateful to have new homes. I'm sure it will be a shame for people who lose a view or get an interrupted tree line or even if a few bats have to go and roost somewhere else in our green, leafy area but it will really hep people who currently may be living in awful rented accommodation at rip off rents and have little or no prospects of getting anywhere better. Like all things it is a balance and i hope a sensible final proposal can be agreed - maybe a lower/smaller block for example.

nottinghillbilly

01-12-2015 09:03 PM

Also it begs the question of the already overstretched GP's in the area,
We've lived here 4 years and could only find one GP willing to take us.
And its nigh on impossible to get an appointment.
I recognise the need for more housing but Lewisham is a large borough.
Why build a tower block in a conservation area?
It will certainly ruin my view on a selfish note and make the immediate area feel very blocked in and claustrophobic.
There are no high rise blocks in the immediate vicinity it will be a hideous blot on our beautiful landscape.
I'm not usually a NIMBY but on this occasion that description certainly applies.

FrenchSE23

02-12-2015 10:09 AM

Dear Robbrockley, thank you for giving voice to the voiceless bats. Your message and your concern for both local tenants and would-be first time buyers clearly reflects a generous heart. Now, I do understand there is a shortage of properties and I do know about the consequences. However I fail to see how a premium, gated development in a premium location will help solve this issue. I doubt there will be a scheme to help first-time buyers snatch these high specs (with a high price tag!) flats. How many of these 22 properties would actually fall between the hands of property developers, not first time buyers? I can also imagine rents in this development to be sky high. I'm not sure more properties means cheaper rents unfortunately. This proposed development, where clearly developers are trying to fit as many properties as possible on a tiny piece of land is neither a charitable nor a responsible answer to the housing shortage. A whole neighborhood would be affected, in a negative way (outstretched infrastructures - schools, GPs - a defaced conservation area, airy feel replaced by a claustrophobic one, to mention only few of the cons) by such an irresponsible way of building. I appreciate your concern for tenants and first time buyers, and I respect your generosity. As far as I'm concerned, I think that nickfh and michael are looking into pragmatic ways - compromises - to effectively please both developers AND existing residents and I salute their positive, forward-thinking attitude. Rethinking the size of the building? Improving the access? How about living green walls/roofs to minimize the visual impact of the building?...

joeh

23-04-2018 12:52 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone know what the latest is with regards to the above planning proposal?

I am interested in buying a flat nearby and would be interested to know if the new build is going ahead, or not.

Many thanks!
Joe

taymountgrange

27-04-2023 10:31 AM

I love digging up old threads!

The problems then are the problem with the new application, the only problem is the application number DC/14/88125 is not yielding any results via the Lewisham planning portal.

It would be very help to have the refusal notice for this one.

If anyone can assist.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Taymount Grange | Planning Application | DC/22/127431 taymountgrange 6 5,060 10-11-2022 03:38 PM
Last Post: HannahM
  Two questions about Taymount Grange, Lower Ground Floor - heating/ kitchens petertajones 5 9,642 01-01-2014 08:15 PM
Last Post: Richard Bone
  Taymount Grange david.lathwell 10 17,887 20-12-2012 10:07 AM
Last Post: michael
  Police cordoning off Taymount Grange due to "serious incident" Mattfh 12 24,612 26-03-2012 02:27 PM
Last Post: michael
  Taymount Grange on Nick Knowles' Original Features nevermodern 1 5,336 25-10-2011 06:30 AM
Last Post: stevegrindlay
  taymount grange info nevermodern 10 15,454 15-05-2011 02:50 PM
Last Post: wendybradley
  taymount grange on Retro To Go. nevermodern 1 4,630 15-06-2010 02:23 PM
Last Post: nevermodern