SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Speeding - Honor Oak Park
BringOutTheCranston

25-04-2014 05:43 PM

Davidl said what I was about to post.

Further comments

Only 171 people have signed that petition so hardly a groundswell of public opinion.

The phrase "Evidence shows" is used in the petition - what evidence? They could have put a link to that evidence or is it just their speculation.

It then says "cost being estimated at as little as £350,000"- I'm glad that they think that £350k is such a trifling amount.

I thought about all of this as I walked from Honor Oak station back to Perry Vale and saw that little grid of streets didn't seem to have problems. This is because there are physical barriers to stop rat running from the south circular to Honor Oak, roads blocked off at the end etc.

So you'd only drive into that area if you had a genuine reason too. Now that seems like a proper solution to the problem. If solutions like this could be put in place at other problem areas in the borough then that would be good.

But I expect that it is difficult and expensive, so we'll go for a blanket speed limit reduction that we won't enforce but it will give a nice warm feeling even though very little will have been acheived.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lacb

26-04-2014 11:08 AM

There is plenty if evidence and research referenced reports - all you need to do is follow the links. In fact, so much of it, that I am still wading through it.

Latest DfT thinking seems to be to use 20mph away from arterial routes in town and remove speed humps. The enforcement issues seem non sequitur to me as otherwise why would we have any speed limits at all? It's a culture thing like wearing a seatbelt.

As for the cost, a 350K capital cost strikes me as a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. If just one life saving operation is not required from this then I imagine this would balance the books - and that is just in year one.

That all said, I agree that this is just one piece of a much larger jigsaw. Other traffic calming measures are required for HOP anyway (and I suspect Cranston Road too by the sound of things). Clearly the mayor listens to petitions and perhaps we should start one for this?

Perryman

28-04-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:
The [20mph] commitment in my manifesto relates to local roads that are under the control of Lewisham Council. ... a borough wide limit would not affect the TFL controlled roads - unfortunately it is not in my power to set the limits on these roads.
Around 68% of Lewisham controlled roads are already within 20mph areas, and I hope to be able to bring the remaining 32% under a 20mph limit as soon as possible.

Here's a more up to date crash map: http://www.crashmap.co.uk/ and so the main ribbon of destruction will continue its merry path in SE23 regardless of potential limits as it is a red route and part of TLRN.

But it is not clear if Dartmouth Rd say (A2216) or Brockley Rise (B218) are part of TfL's domain. Or even Perry Hill/Sydenham Rd (A212). All major routes with trails of incident flags.

As a Perry Vale-ian I'll be delighted that after many promises, Lewisham can finally deliver a 20 mph limit. But it makes you wonder how they will deter traffic from the current elite zones...

Londondrz

29-04-2014 09:08 AM

The crash map is good but not accurate. I know that because my accident is not on it.

lacb

29-04-2014 10:03 AM

I think locally only the South Circular (A205) is TfL controlled. Easy to spot as it is a red route:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-...route-maps

Jemmalrc

23-05-2014 02:40 PM

I have also written to the council a couple of times in the last year or so. We have a baby and I find that traffic speeds up as we approach the zebra crossings rather than slowing down. It's quite dangerous stepping out onto the road.

I was told that the council cannot raise the speed bumps because the road is on an ambulance route, which is handy because there is likely to be an accident sooner or later. I was also told that cameras won't be put in until there has been an accident. So that's nice.

What really annoys me about it is that the people who speed are not local so they just don't care. They only use the road precisely because they can speed without getting caught. Whenever we walk around the side roads (where presumably people are more likely to be local) people are very kind and often stop to let us cross with the pushchair.

I have twice in the last year seen mothers shouted at by speeding drivers. The first time the driver came down the hill at speed and shouted out his window at a mother crossing with her pram. He then came into a Sainsbury's where she was shopping and shouted at her some more - I am the least likely person to join a fight but had to step in to defend her. The driver said he didn't think he should have to slow/down stop as people never say thanks! More recently another mother had abuse hurled at her by a speeding driver as he thought she'd stepped out too quickly.

We live at the top of the hill and the problem is equally bad there - blind bend, speeding up the hill, junction of three roads and a primary school. A recipe for disaster. I've seen there have been a couple of crashes there in the last year but nobody was hurt. So that's fine by the council.

I'm not sure what the answer is as the council really do not seem interested. Perhaps we ought to draw up a petition or something so the council realises how many local people are affected by this.

tincan

10-06-2014 01:50 PM

That's Lewisham council for you ...

I have written to highways many times about HOP road hill and speeding -

the problems would be easily solved by a 20mph speed limit and a camera...can't be that hard. The main excuses are its a 'classified road' and so its there as a through route rather than residential road....which makes a lot of sense...err not?!

in my opinion its a residential street and should be treated as such.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields