SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham bus station closed for two years from 1/3/14
Mr_Numbers

27-02-2014 06:31 PM

News to me - but my wife just received this email from TfL...

Quote:
I am writing to let you know that Lewisham bus station will be closed from Saturday 1 March, for about two years. This is due to redevelopment work, as part of the Lewisham Gateway regeneration scheme. During this time, buses will be affected as follows:
• Routes 75, 89, 181, 185, 208, 284, 484 and P4 will start at Loampit Vale and buses towards Lewisham will terminate at Lewisham High Street
• Routes 108, 178 and 261 towards Lewisham will terminate at Molesworth Street
• Route 108 towards Stratford, route 178 towards Woolwich and route 261 towards Locksbottom will start at Lewisham High Street
For more details, including a map, please click here

Yours sincerely

Peter Bradley
Head of Consultation Delivery

A map of where Lewisham buses will stop is available here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps...010314.pdf

It looks as though the 75 and 185, for example, will still start at the same bus stop on Loampit Vale, but if they can't 'rest' between their inward and outward journeys at the bus station, I don't know what that's going to do to frequency or traffic chaos.

It also looks like a bit of a hike from the high street bus stop to the DLR or the train station.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

02-03-2014 06:39 PM

Thanks for the public service announcement, Mr Numbers. I use the P4 daily, albeit mostly in the other direction, but occasionally to Lewisham, and had no idea this was in the offing.

Mr_Numbers

03-03-2014 10:41 AM

So far it looks like there's not much impact if you pick up a bus at Lewisham. The 75 and 185 start from the same stop ("start from the same stop"???) as before.

It's also still possible to drive up to the station to pick up/drop off passengers for the train/DLR.

I'm guessing but looks as though the buses now 'rest' in the one-way system around the Matalan/Carpetright block.

Sherwood

03-03-2014 12:33 PM

I am told that the roundabout is going to be dug up. This may disrupt the traffic flow.

Snazy

04-03-2014 01:16 PM

Sounds like it could be a no go area for motorists for a while if the plans are THAT big. Will have to see if there are any docs online available to see the plans.

Mr_Numbers

12-05-2014 08:44 AM

Did my usual Sunday afternoon run to drop off my daughter at Lewisham station for the DLR only to discover that Station Road from the usual Lewisham Road (ie going towards Blackheath) access is now sealed off.

As far as I can tell there are no drop-off or waiting/pick-up points and all the nearby streets are double-red lines. I just squeezed into the space on Station Road between the main road and the barrier fence.

The only vehicular access to the station is via Station Road from Lewisham Way (ie the A20 coming from Matalan/Carpetrite) - it's now a two-way street with a turning space at the top - but that's for taxis only.

Anyone got any other ideas where you can do a drop-off - or wait to pick someone up?

ChrisR

14-05-2014 12:02 PM

There's an article about the latest changes around Lewisham Station on the front page of the Mercury today.

Further information on http://www.newlewisham.co.uk

Mr_Numbers

25-01-2015 11:42 AM

Looks like the Lewisham roundabout has been transformed since last weekend. Nice to see progress - but I now have absolutely no idea where I can drop off or pick up my daughter at the DLR on Sundays.

Recently I've been pulling in to the gate entrance area off the road just before Maggie's café, but today they were working there and I got waved on.

Erekose

27-01-2015 06:56 AM

Its been very unfriendly for pedestrians walking around the area for some time now.
Lets hope the end result is an improvement.

Mr_Numbers

03-02-2015 04:19 PM

I emailed TfL to say that the roadworks were obviously going to make a huge and welcome improvement, but in the mean time where could one drop off and pick up one's family for the DLR? They replied within just a few days to sympathise and suggest the Matalan car park.

Actually that wasn't too bad an idea - so with apologies to Carpetright, I used their car park last weekend and it worked well.

theirpuppet

26-02-2016 04:38 PM

I was just checking on the status of this closure. It seems that it has become a permanent closure at some point between March 2014 and today. Not that you should believe everything on Wikipedia, but it's one easy place to link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewisham_bus_station

And another: http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/artic...hyear=2015

Mr_Numbers

28-02-2016 10:28 AM

You can meet the Lewisham Gateway team on Tuesday, March 1st at Lewisham shopping centre, 3.30-5.30pm.

http://www.newlewisham.com/news.html

Ironically exactly two years after Lewisham bus station was closed.

I can't go but if anyone here can, I'd love to hear what's happening with road and bus links with the train and DLR station, because at the moment it's an absolute nightmare trying to drop anyone off, pick someone up or get to/from there by the 185.

Mr_Numbers

28-02-2016 10:33 AM

And by the way, if anyone does go on Tuesday, I think the London Gateway team should be roundly berated for their utterly uninformative website. As far as I can tell there's no useful information about bus stops or project timelines.

It would be nice to have a rough idea how much longer this flippin' chaos is going to go on for.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham Station - Christmas Eve 2022, will be CLOSED samuelsen 0 1,231 21-11-2022 09:46 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Lewisham Police Station Family Open Day 24/06/17 admin 0 3,215 15-05-2017 04:31 PM
Last Post: admin
  Open Day Lewisham Police Station michael 3 6,022 12-06-2015 11:49 AM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  Parking for Lewisham Station ladywotlunches 2 5,282 08-09-2012 07:33 PM
Last Post: ladywotlunches