SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Postal Issues in SE23
BarCar

14-12-2013 04:02 PM

In the last few days we have had post for the correct house number but for two different nearby streets. We have had no idea where our post has gone.

Royal Mail are aware and investigating but I presume the cause is that they have extra staff in the sorting office for the holidays and they don't know one street from the other.

If you are missing post this might explain why...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

14-12-2013 06:21 PM

When the temp postie is on my road or delivery drivers for that matter, I sometimes get post for an apartment in the church up the road. Well done Royal Mail for allocating the same postcode to two properties with the same door numbers.

Hope your issue is sorted soon. Very frustrating isn't it.

Mr_Numbers

16-12-2013 02:41 PM

Forest Hill Post Office can't take parcels because they're overflowing with the things and it's an 'elf and safety issue' - I kid you not. They're overflowing because the lift is broken and - gosh! - someone might get hurt walking up and down the steps a few times carrying some parcels.

Erekose

16-12-2013 06:25 PM

We have suffered from this on and off for some years although I thought it had got a lot better in the last year or so. I used to write a short, sometimes slightly sarcastic, note about being careful not to confuse street names just because they begin with the same letter on the envelope and return the mail to the nearset post box.

blushingsnail

16-12-2013 06:31 PM

We've had the same problem as BarCar on and off for a few years now: right house number, wrong road (a nearby road name beginning with the same letter). And not just at Christmas.

The first year was a very nearby road and close enough that each household would sometimes drop off the mail in person. But then it switched to a road about half a mile away and I just wrote on the envelopes "Delivered incorrectly to x address" and put them in a post box. It happened so frequently that the other household sent us a thank you note!

Some of the letters were official correspondence from banks etc, so it wasn't a case them being incorrectly or illegibly addressed. I thought mail was scanned electronically and filtered by post code so I don't understand how post for one road can end up in the pigeon hole (or whatever they use) for another road.

Perhaps it's a Royal Mail initiative to encourage communities to get to know one another?

Jane_D

17-12-2013 11:12 AM

We've had a lot of problems in the past with 'wrong road - right street number' muddles, but it has been much better recently.

I agree with the post office staff not being expected to lug parcels up and down stairs while their lift is broken, as well as carrying them on the actual deliveries. Especially at this time of year when there are so many.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thames Water Issues SE23 Mhaze 1 4,729 12-09-2014 11:55 AM
Last Post: Snazy