SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
'Pub' premises
Sibelius

28-08-2013 09:01 PM

Does anyone know if anything's planned for the following:

Jam Circus
Honor Oak pub

and... wishful thinking... The Old Bank

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jane2

28-08-2013 10:46 PM

I wish something would happen to the Honor Oak soon, it is horrible seeing it all boarded up with steel at the windows. A waste of a good pub.

There is a little bit more about what is happening at the Honor Oak on this website:
http://www.southeastcentral.co.uk/thread...-pub.4691/

It seems that Punch Taverns are planning to get new tenants in, but they are certainly taking their time.

This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 10:54 PM by Jane2.

squashst

29-08-2013 07:07 AM

From Brockley Central blog:
"the departing team at The Catford Bridge Tavern have been talking a good game on Twitter, saying that their next move will be to reopen Crofton Park's Jam Circus."

(and yes the Catford Bridge Tavern has been closed but is due to reopen under the Camden pub company in a couple of months).

No idea about the Old Bank though......

nataliem

29-08-2013 08:57 AM

I previously lived in Crofton Park and moved to Devonshire Road (Honor Oak end) a few months ago. I LOVE this area and really want to get involved with the SE23 community.

I mainly joined this forum a few days ago to find recommendations for a gardener, and more importantly because I have been wondering what is happening with the empty units/pubs (namely The Old Bank and Wood Shop on the corners of Honor Oak Park, Jam Circus and The Honor Oak Pub - which I remember used to be lovely).

I did a check and there are no marketing details anywhere for the units I have mentioned. Do we know who the landlords are for the two corner units in Honor Oak Park?

It would be good for outside agents/retailers/independents to see that these opportunities are available if we hope to fill them with a great use/service for the community. I am happy to upload details to sites to help out (I work in the commercial property industry). Now that the Sainsbury’s will be opening in Honor Oak Park soon I think that will really help with the interest in these gateway units, if there aren’t already plans for them... I read in another post that there is an application for Sebastian Roche to extend in to the Wood Shop. I need to do more research into this.

For the pubs I am going to mention them to my restaurant/leisure guy to see if he has any ideas.

Thanks

Natalie

Belle

29-08-2013 09:09 AM

I heard on the grapevine that due to way The Honor Oak pub is financed (I guess via the owner/brewery), it makes it very difficult for the tenants to make a reasonable profit and as such it is not an attractive proposition.

With a bit of inspiration and in the right hands, it could be really good local pub again.

lacb

29-08-2013 09:49 AM

Though I agree with you Belle, I think what you refer to is just a "tied pub". Most pubs are like this and the brewery take most if the profit.

I heard the Honor Oak has other issues, including the state if the building.

Tersie

29-08-2013 10:01 AM

Hi Natalie

A bit of history. The Old Bank was up for rent 2 years back. Dominos made an application to turn it into their SE london main delivery hub. We locals ran a great campaign to get their planning application turned down. Up until April this year a successful pop up restaurant was in there but it is currently empty. The rent is pretty high and the building needs a lot of work internally to make it viable for an ongoing concern. It appears the landlords are waiting until after Sainsbury's opens to re-market it. Will be interesting to see at what rental. We can only hope we get a good bar / restaurant operation interested.

Old Whitewood Shop - Seb Roche is knocking through to make it one unit. Work being done currently on it.

Honor Oak Pub - Punch Taverns owns it and it is up for lease, but in reality anyone who takes this on has certain contractual T&C's - one of which is to buy stock at inflated prices. It is a shame they won't sell the building as it really would be great to have a freehouse pub on this site.

Jam Circus will be opened again soon - think this will happen sooner rather than later with the closure of the Catford Bridge Tavern.

Southlonder

29-08-2013 06:00 PM

HOP has the fantastic Try which is effectively a gastropub, and the Hop Scotch serves draft beers and my wife and I intent to go there tonight in fact.

I do agree however that the Old Bank should really be a pub. The landlord is obviously a moron for allowing it to remain empty, I doubt they own the unit outright so I fail to see how they can service their debt Rolleyes

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields