SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
ADT security consultants cold calling
nottinghillbilly

04-03-2014 06:30 PM

I find it odd that a respected business like ADT is resorting to door to door selling which is and always has been universally unpopular.
When I last brought an alarm I did my research called two companies based on that research and got them round to do a survey and quote.
As it happened I DID go with ADT, but had they done the door to door thing on me I would have rejected them without even getting a survey as I strongly believe that any company worth its salt shouldn't have to cold call to drum up business

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BT

05-03-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:
I think it's a mistake to say "it's a bad time" because they'll then say "when is a good time?"

The short/only answer to this is 'NEVER'.

Jane_D

05-03-2014 10:22 PM

I always say 'thanks, we know an excellent local builder and we're not interested in quotes from anyone else.' Then keep repeating 'definitely not interested, bye,' if they persist.

I find it hard to believe that a really good company would use these pushy
door to door selling tactics; they'd get their business through word of mouth. But I guess they must get some work that way or they wouldn't keep doing it.

rshdunlop

06-03-2014 07:03 AM

Just close the door. You don't need to say anything except 'No thanks.' If they are still speaking when you close the door, that's their problem. Waiting for them to concede and go away is a waste of your time and theirs.

Jane2

06-03-2014 11:01 PM

Yes I think I am going to get tougher and be ruder - I am obviously being too polite!
Had another company today - not ADT but one of those companies who want to advise you on making improvements to your house - they were even more pushy than ADT but I was firmer and shut the door (the guy didn't do himself any favours by giving my front steps a kick and telling me they were falling apart! Incredibly rude). Actually think I am going to get a 'no cold callers' sign as I am getting so many of them now.
It must be really distressing for older or more vulnerable people.

BT

06-03-2014 11:16 PM

This is the sign I have on my door. Printed on A5 and laminated. Please feel free to use it. It seems to work with most Cold Callers except those who say they haven't seen it who are then directed to Specsavers Thumbup

Jane_D

06-03-2014 11:25 PM

I rather admire the 'kick the customer's house and tell them its falling apart' technique. It may work. I once had a knock on a door from a jobbing gardener who berated me for the frightful state of my front patio, suggesting that my weeds were putting the whole neighbourhood to shame and that everyone in the street was talking about it. But she could fix it all for two hundred quid.. I was so astonished that I almost agreed. Completely lacked the presence of mind to ask her whether randomly knocking on doors and hurling insults at the occupants normally had the desired effect, though it would have been interesting to know.

Duffinamdi

07-03-2014 07:41 AM

Thanks for the sign BT

sixer

15-03-2014 07:28 AM

This article describes how one SE Londoner was duped and tried to fight back against ADT. Beware their tactics.
Guardian story

oryx

15-03-2014 05:12 PM

That's disgraceful.

I agree with the CAB that cold-calling should be banned. At best it's a nuisance, at worst it means people getting ripped off. I'm amazed that any reputable company uses it - I thought no sane person would buy anything from an unannounced cold caller!

rshdunlop

15-03-2014 06:18 PM

Reading that article in The Guardian, I'm not sure that woman has a case against ADT. She succumbed to high-pressure sales tactics, which I agree are unpleasant, but she signed the contract and also initialled all the disputed points. If she didn't read them, whose fault is that? Don't get me wrong, I have sympathy for her, but I'm not sure her's is the strongest case I've heard against ADT.

I think it was the nitpicking that put me off. We have fobs too. Extra fobs are about a fiver each. Not exactly prohibitive.

This post was last modified: 15-03-2014 06:20 PM by rshdunlop.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields