SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Two questions about Taymount Grange, Lower Ground Floor - heating/ kitchens
petertajones

28-01-2013 03:42 PM

Hi there,

My partner and I are interested in buying a flat at Taymount Grange. We went down in the quirky old lift and had a look around the property last week (it's on the Lower Ground floor). It looked good and is well suited to our requirements in terms of its size (and character). However, we came away with a two burning questions. Confused

We'd be really grateful if any locally savvy people on this forum might be able to help us out. We've lodged these queries with the company that manage the block (Freshwater) and will await their response, but it would be great to hear from any current/former residents, or even from somebody who has visited Taymount Grange or knows it well.

1) It was really warm when we arrived in the flat. We're aware that the central heating is included in the service charge and this is great. However, we're slightly concerned about the pipes that run beneath the floor at this basement level. Will this plumbing mean that the flat continues to be hot when the central heating is switched off in the summer? (I'm assuming the hot water pipes also run underneath the floors). Is the temperature in the lower ground flats bearable, or do the windows have to be kept open all the year round to manage the heat?

2) The kitchen is really quite small. Does anyone know if the management company normally allows for the wall between the kitchen and the reception room to be removed in flats at Taymount? (this doesn't look like a structural wall + it's quite small) Again, this is a question we've asked Freshwater - but it's not one that they're obliged to answer definitively at this stage. We'd really like to make this alteration when we moved in - just to create a bit more breathing space.

We've lived in Forest Hill before (Sunderland Road) and we like this area. We knew about this distinctive building with its rather incongruous modernist design and like the idea of living here, but we just want to make sure that it's going to be comfortable.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bobaldo

28-01-2013 04:47 PM

Hi,
I won't be able to answer your specific questions but having bought a flat myself in Taymount Grange recently I can say it is a great place to live.
I only moved in early December but have found it to be amazingly peaceful, friendly and clean place to rest your bones.
The live in caretaker is a great guy and from my limited experience as a tenant, there is very little for you to worry about on a day to day basis (other than will your guests be able to make it up the hill).

Heating and hot water is part of your service charge too btw.

Cheers.. Rob.

nevermodern

28-01-2013 06:13 PM

Hi.

I don't live in the Grange, but I understand it's just been grade II listed which would mean any structural changes such as knocking through rooms would need to be to be okayed with English Heritage.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/your-...-building/

If I'm wrong about this, can someone correct me as I don't want to put anyone off buying.

I once went to Lewisham records office to try and get some historical detail on Forest Croft, the Grange's less-loved neighbour, and came across an academic essay on the Grange - still there if you're interested in looking. It was titled as below:

Taymount Grange - 'the servant problem solved'.

http://www.themodernhouse.net/sales-list...e/history/

Cheers.

petertajones

28-01-2013 08:37 PM

Thanks for your comments Rob, they were very helpful. Also, glad to hear your experience at Taymount has been a positive one.

Pete.

petertajones

28-01-2013 08:54 PM

Thanks for your detailed response @nevermodern, great to hear about the history. It's a really intriguing image - something vaguely utopian and new age-y about it! Plus you've solved all our servant worries in one fell swoop Rofl (although I can see why a porter would seem like a good idea with that hill)

I have a bit of an interest London history myself, and recently wrote an article about coffee-stalls in South London for London Fictions.

Richard Bone

01-01-2014 08:15 PM

Hi

Me and my partner are thinking about moving to Taymount Grange and when looking at the rather small kitchen also have the same question as you did, is it possible to knock through from the living room to the kitchen? If you did move in I was wondering if this is something you managed to organise with the management company?

Taymount Grange seems like a lovely place to live, so if you ended up moving in it would be great to know about your experience, maintenance costs, heating and water etc?

Thanks very much

Richard

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Taymount Grange Planning Proposal Ciej 18 20,180 27-04-2023 10:31 AM
Last Post: taymountgrange
  Taymount Grange | Planning Application | DC/22/127431 taymountgrange 6 5,063 10-11-2022 03:38 PM
Last Post: HannahM
  Taymount Grange david.lathwell 10 17,889 20-12-2012 10:07 AM
Last Post: michael
  Police cordoning off Taymount Grange due to "serious incident" Mattfh 12 24,620 26-03-2012 02:27 PM
Last Post: michael
  Taymount Grange on Nick Knowles' Original Features nevermodern 1 5,343 25-10-2011 06:30 AM
Last Post: stevegrindlay
  taymount grange info nevermodern 10 15,469 15-05-2011 02:50 PM
Last Post: wendybradley
  taymount grange on Retro To Go. nevermodern 1 4,635 15-06-2010 02:23 PM
Last Post: nevermodern