SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
BT Infinity in SE23 - News
Mr_Numbers

05-07-2013 08:41 AM

In case it helps anyone, in Sunderland Road I'm now getting 214MB download and 20.5MB upload (speedtest.net). When it was tested on first installation in May I was told that eventually BT will cap it at my contractual 160MB - presumably so they can charge more for 200MB.

On the PC the 160MB is okay but I'm learning the hard way that the real speed is affected by how good the pipe and server are at whatever website you're trying to access. Of course it also depends on my PC's ability to crunch through the data that comes pouring in without choking.

Big PDF downloads are noticeably faster, though, and it seems to be making a difference on our wifi-enabled TV for BBC iPlayer. No freezing/caching.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael greczynski
Gold Member

18-07-2013 10:36 AM

Hi
I'm in forest hill for 6years and i had:
Tiscali adsl
Talktalk adsl
Virgin cable
And now O2 which is Sky now but I'm not switch to sky yet ...

So far only the O2 was the greatest broadband internet of them all, and technical over the phone service was great and helpful...
If the telephone line is own by BT and just use by other providers why they can do proper internet and not BT Smile I always find this difficult to understand .

ryananglem

18-07-2013 12:14 PM

Hi Michael - The lines are owned by BT, but as far as I am aware, O2 had their own kit located at the exchange to provide ADSL2, which is why they could provide faster speeds. Sky are in the process of migrating the customer accounts of O2 at the moment, but their customer service is by reputation nowhere near the levels of O2.

BT do however own the fibre network (that they use for infinity) so other providers (except virgin) will be piggybacking off those cables.

michael greczynski
Gold Member

26-07-2013 09:47 AM

I heard that sky is not good as O2... So I will probably move to .... BT?
Every time I go back home (poland) the internet is sooooo good and sooooo fast and for almost no cost ,make me think why can not be done here ....

lacb

01-08-2013 11:14 AM

I am finding that fibre offerings, from BT or subsidiaries, are no longer available in our area as a product. Which is weird because it used to be and in any case I know that FTTP already exists here.

Current status says FTTC in some areas:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSFOR

Anyone else finding this?

OakR

02-08-2013 12:30 PM

I've got an order going through for Infinity at present which still seems fine, and looks like it is still available on Brockley Rise anyway....seems odd they would withdraw it.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SE23 on BBC News website Hillman 0 3,773 21-12-2017 04:08 PM
Last Post: Hillman
  South London Press invites SE23 news reports mike slp 3 6,252 09-02-2009 02:27 PM
Last Post: Bonnie Blue