SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Street scam - distressed woman asking for baby formula money
Jane_D

14-10-2012 11:35 PM

No doubt she is using the money she collects for drugs not formula, but the things she is doing now sound really bizarre - saying her baby is dead and that she'll kill herself unless someone gives her money - I do think she needs some help, and that it is possible that she has kids, in which case they certainly need help.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jane_D

15-10-2012 10:59 AM

I rang Social Services who said they needed to know the woman's name and where she lives before they could do anything, and that the community police team would need to get those details from her. The police of course can only do that if someone tells them where she is at a given time.

If anyone spots her and would like to help get a referral to Social Services, please ring the police number 101 and quote ref CHS3210, and the community police team will send someone to talk to her.

Sherwood

15-10-2012 03:25 PM

I have seen her in Catford also in Woolstone Road and more recently near the Tesco Express on Perry Hill. But I have no idea where she lives.

Jane_D

15-10-2012 03:50 PM

The police said they would come out immediately if someone rings them when they spot her, saying where she is and quoting that reference. I'll do it if I can, but it would great if anyone else on the forum felt happy to do it when they see her, as I haven't come across her for a few weeks. Thanks.

Littlebelka

16-10-2012 11:29 AM

She used to live in the three store building opposite Ackroyd Community Centre. Maybe they would be able to help.

Several years ago when I encountered her for the first time and gave 50p she was outraged this was not enough.

ForTiger

18-10-2012 04:39 PM

Just to ask if anyone else walking towards Honor Oak junction from South Circular was accosted by an elderly English woman asking for money? Another passerby gave her some small change and I did too; don't know if she is a resident of Honorlea but seemed to be a rather hoarse and slightly agitated. This happened just after midday today.

milliemop

18-10-2012 05:06 PM

She was outside the post office on Brockley Rise the other day - most people just walked away from her - rightly so! Believe she is from Honor Lea WinkCursing

annie456

02-11-2012 08:07 PM

A woman matching this description was trying my letterbox this evening (on Devonshire Road). I have pretty good security but worth warning everyone. I described her as a smartly dressed black woman around 40 years old with cornrows...is this the formula lady?
She was very quietly getting a feel around my letterbox and trying to get her hand in! I looked through the peep hole and she scampered off...very worrying.

rbmartin

03-11-2012 05:08 PM

Not too sure if it's the same person, but a woman who is similar in description and actions did the same scam on my mother in Rye Lane, Peckham last weekend, including exposing a lactating breast.

Vancouver

06-11-2012 04:17 PM

I too was accosted by said woman near 'Yaaal' shop.
She exposed her boob and lactated.
Same story as posted previously.
Quite a disturbing experience!

p.s. weirdly this is my first post, as I have recently moved to the area. hello!

thewalrus

13-11-2012 06:45 PM

Hi Vancouver, that's not a very nice welcome to the area! Don't worry, it's not always this exciting.

I'm glad my husband wasn't the only person who felt more sympathy than cynicism, even though I berated him for it! Hopefully this woman will get help soon, or be made to stop depending on what causes her to do this.

Bodie

19-11-2012 10:48 PM

I've been approached by her twice last month around the bottom of Woolstone Road area and she asked me if i wanted some business and i burst out laughing Laugh. She is obviously a drug addict and it seems got some mental health issues.

NovKat

25-11-2013 01:09 AM

It appears this woman (middle aged black lady) is active again as I had an encounter with her early Friday evening just under the railway bridge near Catford station. She was extremely distressed, asked me for money for formula milk, told me her baby had died the day before and exposed one of her breasts to me to 'prove' she wasn't lying. All rather contradictory. She also told me she'd been driven to prostitution, had been hit by a man and that she was suicidal.

I mentioned her to a community officer I saw on the street half an hour later who is aware of this lady and encouraged me to call 101 to report it which I did. If anyone else encounters her if you report it straight away (unlike me) then there is more chance she can be tracked down and helped.

chrisse23

25-11-2013 05:31 PM

This sounds remarkably like a woman who used to run the same line in Crofton Park about 11-12 years ago. One time, I saw a nice lady buying some formula milk in the Co-Op there and within five minutes she was trying to sell it in the street.

She clearly needs help, but she'll never get it whilst people keep giving her money which she then immediately spends on crack, I'm guessing.

Poppet2

31-12-2013 06:53 PM

I came across her Christmas Eve in Catford Market. The line was, her baby had just died and she needed money for flowers for the funeral. I asked her when the funeral was, at first she said in a month's time, then she said two weeks time.
I could hear her telling another woman who later passed by that she needed money for baby formula milk.

This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 06:54 PM by Poppet2.

Sherwood

02-01-2014 08:13 AM

She was on Catford Hill one day asking for money because it is Christmas.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  High Street Revival Money for Forest Hill jgdoherty 4 6,513 25-07-2012 12:23 PM
Last Post: jgdoherty