SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
176 going up Kirkdale and Sydenham Hill?
Dommy

14-04-2008 06:14 AM

I have seen several 176 buses going up Kirkdale past Thorpewood Avenue (as recently as yesterday) i.e. not along Dartmouth Road. Can't remember / couldn't tell whether they were had passengers or not. Are some drivers taking a short cut avoiding Forest Hill? Has it been re-routed? I know Dartmouth Road WAS closed but has been fully open for some time now. Any ideas?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rikke

14-04-2008 08:15 AM

This has also confused me for some time, I live on Sydenham Hill and see the buses go past, but they dont stop. The 122 also comes up here now, but again without stopping. They only go towards Crystal Palace, I haven't seen them come back the other direction.

Weird.

ohyeahkitten

14-04-2008 08:22 AM

The buses are on diversion. Not sure why.

michael

14-04-2008 08:57 AM

Some of them must come down Dartmouth as I see them turning into London Road, but I have seen them on the wrong part of Kirkdale so I am confused.

ohyeahkitten

14-04-2008 09:15 AM

The buses head down Darmouth. At Kirkdale, they usually turn left at the roundabout. Because of the diversion, they turn right instead.

Dommy

14-04-2008 11:10 AM

Ahhh, not avoiding Forest Hill but avoiding Kirkdale south of Dartmouth Road? Might make sense but I've not seen signs.

ohyeahkitten

14-04-2008 11:22 AM

There's a sign at the roundabout which points buses on diversion to the right. The problem is, there's no signs at bus stops or on the buses themselves. This has been an issue. Twice I've boarded the bus at Sainsbury's wanting to be dropped off at the Woodman. The buses headed right and would not stop. First time ended up in Crystal Palace, the second time ended up near Sydenham station. Other times, the buses have stopped at the next bus stop.

There ought to be signs on the buses themselves warning passengers about this.

NewForester

14-04-2008 11:25 AM

There aren't any signs. The driver simply makes an announcement when he stops by the car dealer. However, no diversion shows up on journeyplanner anymore. It could be that the buses are running normally again this week.

Buses from Penge come back via Kirkdale.

NewForester

14-04-2008 11:26 AM

ohyeahkitten wrote:
There's a sign at the roundabout which points buses on diversion to the right.

I stand corrected

ohyeahkitten

14-04-2008 11:51 AM

I've ridden on several of the diverted buses recently and the driver has never made an announcement. One time he said something loudly in his booth, but I couldn't hear him and I wasn't that far away.

The buses now seem to be willing to stop at the next stop up on Kirkdale. But it still feels like kinda a crapshoot.

The 122 was still on diversion yesterday too.

Anyone know when this is supposed to end?

marianna

14-04-2008 03:36 PM

Buses cannot turn right at the roundabout at the bottom of Kirkdale before they turn left into Laurie Park Road because the water board have dug up the road. They have also dug up the length of Jews Walk. No idea when work will be finished but the diversion is not adequatley signposted for passengers from Forest Hill.Cursing

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christmas Tree Lighting in Forest Hill and Kirkdale michael 0 2,758 23-11-2019 04:38 PM
Last Post: michael
  Cycle Hub for Forest Hill, Kirkdale and Sydenham brencud 6 7,108 06-06-2016 09:04 PM
Last Post: brencud