SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Any interest in a local wholefoods coop/buying club?
kim_mcgowan

25-09-2012 04:49 PM

Hello,

I've been looking around for a coop/buying club to join locally to get together with others and bulk buy wholefood items. The closest I have found is based over in Brixton, so not exactly local to SE23.

What do I mean by wholefoods? Well, not fresh produce. There is already a coop selling fresh produce in New Cross Gate and numerous veg bag and box schemes (one in Herne Hill for example is close enough to the area.) I'm talking about dried goods and store cupboard items - dried fruits, nuts and seeds, herbs and spices, grains, cereals, flours, pasta, rice, noodles, oils, condiments, sugars and syrups etc.

With enough numbers and a bit of planning and organisation, I think it would be possible to bulk buy items as a group and negotiate a discount with a supplier.

The idea would be to get together, say once every two months to decide on our order, arrange payment to the supplier and arrange a collection date for each person to then collect their items from a designated place.

If anyone else would be interested in getting involved as part of a new buying club, please do let me know and also what type of wholefoods you would be keen to buy.

If there are enough people, I'll happily make some plans to get us all together and get in touch with prospective suppliers etc and we could go from there.

Thanks and best wishes,
Kim

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sesame

25-09-2012 08:00 PM

Hi Kim. I am part of a coop that has been running for quite a few years. We usually meet every couple of months. If you want details either to set up your own group or join ours, PM me.

shimmysister

26-09-2012 10:06 PM

I would definitely be interested! As long as there are enough people to share the bulk order. I also regularly do a wholesale order for essential oils and toiletries which people might also want to "join in" on.

lillam

29-09-2012 08:29 AM

im a member of a food co-op, but its based on hackney and is more hassle than its worth (travel)....PM coming Sesame!

lillam

07-10-2012 03:48 PM

Hello Kim, if you are setting up a new group please count me in. I may be able to help in that I know someone who has helped start up food co-ops before, and can guide us towards using software that makes the whole process simpler.
Cool

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields