SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Reporting water leaks made easy
Snazy

13-09-2012 01:18 PM

Can only try, right ? Smile

If at first you don't succeed..... Bug the hell out of them!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

14-09-2012 08:51 AM

So where is the longest standing water leak in SE23?

There has been a permanent leak on the FH side of the Horniman Hill on London Road since I moved here nearly 10 years ago. Yes, it's moved about a little bit following attempts at repairs but any dry periods have only been while the water finds its way back up to the surface again. In fact, we now have two there with the new one at the bottom of the hill.

michael

14-09-2012 09:32 AM

There was a leak behind Dacres Wood in the 1980s, it was designated as a pond and is now a conservation area. In fact last year Forest Hill's longest standing water leak was in danger of drying up altogether. No such luck outside WH Smiths where the canal tries to reassert it's presence in the centre of Forest Hill.

Snazy

14-09-2012 12:12 PM

Lets see if they have anything planned over the weekend while the traffic is less of an issue. If not, the hassle starts all over again, I have all the time in the world to buy utility companies, especially when they are always putting their prices up then wasting product.

ChrisR

17-09-2012 05:07 PM

Still no news on the Sunderland Road leak despite almost daily calls to Thames Water! Each time the promised call back within 24 hours has not materialised. The case was passed to the Escalation department on Friday afternoon, and even they haven't called back! However I have finally spoken to someone in the escalations team this afternoon who has claimed they are short staffed and can't keep to their deadlines! He is now claiming he needs to investigate and call me back tomorrow!

According to the Thames Live website there are 8 leaks within SE23 - most of them for more than 2 weeks.

Wonderful service from a company who made £225.2 million in profits to the financial year end 2011, and keep telling us we should be doing all we can to save water. Pity they don't heed their own advice.

Snazy

18-09-2012 02:47 PM

Quite literally pouring profits down the drain. I realise its not totally controllable, and plans need to be made in some cases, but if only the information flowed as freely as the water seems to! Thumbdown

Not impressed right now, but glad this issue is receiving attention.
Noticed the electricity people dealing with a hole right next to where the water is flowing down by W H Smiths. True definition of a safe work environment.

ChrisR

18-09-2012 05:09 PM

No call back as promised from the person in escalations I spoke to yesterday. However following contact with the Consumers Council for Water yesterday I have now been called by someone else in Thames Water who in the space of 30 minutes has done more than any of the previous 5 others I've spoken to over the last 10 days!

Having looked into what has been done (or rather hasn't been done) she has already rung me back to advise that their contractors will be onsite tomorrow to do the repair. The reason the contractors gave for being unable to do the repair on September 2nd was because there were cars parked where they had to dig to get at the pipe!! However it doesn't seem as if they knocked any doors to see if they could find out who the cars belonged to or left signs advising to keep the area clear.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring!

Snazy

19-09-2012 08:53 AM

Non emergency and 'not in their job' would be the reasons for no door knocking I guess, plus an early lunch I'm sure.
Something I did notice is every hole dug for the new streetlighting on Sunderland is currently almost full of water.... Is there something more serious going on down there than anyone realises. We have not had enough rain recently to fill the holes, let alone keep them full.
Hopefully the whole thing reaches a conclusion soon, maybe even if they put some cones out and no parking notices would show intention.

On another note, I have to say thanks to Thames Water, as the leak on Church Rise is now done (again) Now let's hope they can do the rest soon.
[attachment=1407]

Snazy

21-09-2012 11:18 AM

Was the timing just right or did the sarcastic tweet to TW last night help?
Either way Dartmouth Road is now fixed. Smile

[attachment=1413]

ChrisR

21-09-2012 07:50 PM

Church Rise and Dartmouth Rd may be fixed but the saga of Sunderland Rd continues!!

Contractors claim to have been 3 times and cars parked where they need to dig, but nobody has seen any sign of them on the days in question, and there haven't been cars parked permanently all day. No doors have been knocked or homes leafleted to leave area free and no signs put out! Everyday it is supposedly getting escalated higher within Thames Water and their contractors.

Apparently Thames Water have recently changed their contractors -think the contract must have gone to G4S!!

Snazy

22-09-2012 08:42 AM

Well its about to be a hat trick, just walked past and the contractors are indeed on site about to try and put an end to the River Sunderland. Signs and fencing are out, contractors measuring up.... Prepare Chris, PREPARE lol

ChrisR

22-09-2012 09:08 AM

Thanks Snazy - yes finally contractors have arrived and drilling has commenced - Hallelujah!

ChrisR

22-09-2012 02:02 PM

I can confirm "River Sunderland" is no more. After 3 weeks of waiting for the leak to be repaired the job took less than 1 hour!

Snazy

23-09-2012 01:15 PM

Great news. I'm guessing their crews were all working on biggger jobs, given the sudden timescale the 3 leaks mentioned on this thread got dealt with towards the end of this week.

I kinda still have faith in tweeting reports, if nothing else its public, simple and easy to do Smile
Glad they are all sorted now.

Still curious as to where all the water in the holes for the streetlights is coming from.

michael

23-09-2012 01:21 PM

A new leak appears to have developed over the skies of Forest Hill.

Snazy

24-09-2012 12:19 PM

And it looks like a big one too! Dont think Thames Water can help us this time Thumbdown

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road Water leaks shzl400 2 4,545 28-01-2015 10:20 AM
Last Post: bonobo