SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Train Fares to Brighton
michael

01-08-2012 08:23 PM

I popped down to Brighton today with an off-peak open return for £19.05
I thought this was quite good because I got an online discount, so it was cheaper than the standard price of £21.90

When I changed trains at East Croydon I met my brother who had traveled down from North London. His ticket from Blackfriars cost him £15.50

Checking the prices it is cheaper to buy a standard open return ticket (without online discount) from Forest Hill to East Croydon and then another from East Croydon to Brighton - total cost £18.90. The only difference is that you must travel on First Capital Connect services from Croydon to Brighton (leaving 3 minutes after the Southern service - 10:11am rather than 10:08am). These trains take exactly the same time to get to Brighton, so you arrive all of three minutes later. But the combined ticket is not available on any online site, you have to buy the two separately.

To cut the cost further you can use PAYG Oyster to East Croydon, which takes the total cost down to £17.70, you just have to remember to swipe out and in when you change at East Croydon.

So what would have actually been cheapest for me?
Not the £19.05, not even the £17.70, but because I have a season ticket to London, I should have gone to London Bridge (free) and get the First Capital Connect train from there for just £15.50. It would have taken longer, but not as long as it takes searching for the cheapest rail fare.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

01-08-2012 09:02 PM

If you know in advance, go for a daysave ticket with southern. Twelve quid gives you unlimited travel for a day on their network (so effectively a return to Brighton). 24 quid covers up to four adults for the day and kids that need to pay are only £1.

Tersie

01-08-2012 09:03 PM

Great tips Michael, also a good bet is getting hold of a network rail card for £28 - valid for a year you get 1/3rd off all travel in the south east region. I went to Brighton last week from HOP and I think I paid £15.40 for a day return. Up to 3 adults can travel on this and get same reduction. Also up to 3 kids as well - up to 60% off!

Also if 4 people travelling anywhere together out of London - ask for a group save ticket, you get charged for 2 full price rtn tickets, so in effect is 50% off.

Bring on the sunshine and I will be heading back to Brighton Thumbup

shzl400

01-08-2012 09:09 PM

I've just had to buy a ticket to travel to Manchester to arrive by about 9:30am i.e. peak time from Euston costing well over £100. But travel from Honor Oak Park, rather than Euston, and the price is £37.50 for the same train from Euston and including the trip to London Bridge and the tube. Train pricing is a complete mystery!

This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 09:11 PM by shzl400.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Train and Buses Fares increase orange 23 18,049 08-01-2012 05:09 PM
Last Post: Cellar Door