SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Foul sewer under house used by for several houses in street
daveherne

26-07-2012 11:33 AM

Still in the middle of buying a house in HOP (Grierson Road area) and it has come up that a public foul water sewer runs under the house, there is a drain at front and back. Is this common? I guess the drains have to come over to the street at some point in terraced rows but it does make me very nervous. Don't want to be lumbered with subsidence or flooding in future.

Dave.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BarCar

26-07-2012 11:51 AM

Very common in this area - 3 hours per shared sewer IIRC in the streets off Grierson.

Since October 2011 the shared part is owned and maintained by Thames Water under recent changes. See http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde/xch...l/8654.htm for more.

In our house there is an access cover in the back garden. I guess there's a risk of a pipe burst under your house but no more so than if it was your own sewer. House across the road had a blockage in the shared section and Thames Water came and fixed in no time.

If there's a fault/flood in the shared section then it's clear from the new law that Thames Water would be liable - doesn't help if you get flooded but at least you don't need to argue responsibility with neighbours.

HTH

Wilson

26-07-2012 08:00 PM

Hi do you mean rainwater and storm water drainage rather than a sewer? I dont think toilet sewers ever ran under a house but the pipes that drain front of gardens can- the one serving our house runs under our neighbours house and connects to the main sewer running along all of our back gardens. Ours are 1930s houses but the mains sewer at the back started off with the Victorian houses further up and the developer of our row of houses connected into that existing sewer. its pretty normal I think but you might want your surveyor to have a look at the condition of the pipe.

daveherne

27-07-2012 12:37 PM

Apparently it is a foul sewer. But several people have said it is quite common. But will do as you say and get the pipe checked just to make sure nothing to worry about.

Dave.

Sherwood

27-07-2012 02:32 PM

I worked for Lewisham drainage section many years ago. According to the drainage book shared (or combined) drains were very common.

bertiebee

15-07-2019 02:09 PM

Hi

I realise you posted this a while ago but we are in the same situation and in the process of buying a house in the same area and the mains sewer goes directly under the house from the road and ends up with a manhole cover in the garden.

I wondered if you went ahead with the purchase and if there were any issues?

Thanks

BT

15-07-2019 04:12 PM

Although its the responsibility of the Water Company it could cause you some problems if it has to be dug up at any time. I had a similar situation when I bought my house and the Solicitor arranged a one of insurance for life against this. Cost me about £100 if I recall.

bertiebee

15-07-2019 04:18 PM

That's useful to know. The issue that the solicitor has raised is that the mortgage lender might be off put by this and even if they aren't, other mortgage lender could be which could be a tricky when we come to re-mortgage or sell. Have you have any problems with this?

Thanks

BT

15-07-2019 05:06 PM

Fortunately not. My Solicitor at the time seemed to know all about these things and arranged the insurance as part of the buying process.

bertiebee

15-07-2019 05:09 PM

Thanks, we'll see what the mortgage lender says and I'll look into the insurance as well.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields