SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Any advice re buying an ex council flat on the Honor Oak estate?
boudicca21

12-04-2012 08:29 PM

I appreciate that I am asking about SE4 rather than SE23 but perhaps ther is some relevant collective wisdom. A young relative is a ftb and contemplating buying an ex council flat on the Honor Oak estate. Any ideas on how sensible this might be? You certainly get a lot more for your money by doing this!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

13-04-2012 06:07 AM

Speaking personally I would avoid it. The reputation isn't great and although there has been visible investment it will take a long time to trickle
down. My old car was stolen twice in as many
Months by someone on that estate and each time I had to go there to retrieve it. Stolen by two members of the same family. The police suggested I didn't pursue them for the crime due to a very violent history. The other problem with that estate is that there is a lot of it hence problems tend to be deeply concentrated, also leaseholders have had to fork out in the past for improvements and I understand that there are meant to be More on the cards. The property might be cheap yes but there is usually a reason for that. I would suggest New Cross itself for lower cost property as although there are still problems its more of a
Mixed community with more street properties.

boudicca21

13-04-2012 11:05 AM

Thanks. I had a horrible feeling that might be the answer. So depressing to think that a young professional earning above average salary can't afford anything other than a glorified bedsit.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any advice on buying chickens please manicmama 10 11,864 12-03-2009 11:53 AM
Last Post: Happysnapper