SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Sainsburys Local on HOP?
johnniek

05-01-2012 06:05 PM

Dear all
Is there any truth in the rumour that I've just heard of a sainsburys local being built in the HOP parade? Possibly in the former Indian Tandoor restaurant and the adjoining units?
Cheers JK

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbboy

05-01-2012 06:13 PM

So what's better now Dominos, oh their not coming now or a Sainsbury's local. I know which one would do most damage - be careful what you wish for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnniek

05-01-2012 06:17 PM

Well from what i heard, its not the old bank restaurant site but opposite.. I'm not super keen but it would be convenient for a lot of locals. Yes its the sorry state of the British high street..
If it was a Little Waitrose then I'm sure people would be happier!

dbboy

05-01-2012 06:18 PM

And just think what damage that would do to the parade of shops.

This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 06:18 PM by dbboy.

johnniek

05-01-2012 06:24 PM

Those outlets would need to diversify into more niche product (like a premium deli) the existing non food retailers would benefit for a higher foot fall in the area, so with some creative thinking it could be beneficial. I'm not 100% supporting the growth of the supermarket chains but their inertia is almost unstoppable. Small shops need foot fall and if they work in tandem then it might beneficial to all.

mrcee

05-01-2012 10:24 PM

difference between Dominoes and Sainsburys is that Sainsbury will attract more footfall to high street so you may find that the off licence, hills and parks etc benefits as people can do a shop in the one location rather than having to visit HOP in conjunction with a supermarket trip.

It may also encourage the commuter crowd that come out of the station and turn right to actually occassionally take a left which would bring new customers to area.

its not the end of the world if a sainsburys opens unless they launch on the 21st December which would be the end of the world http://www.december2012endofworld.com/

ontheedge

05-01-2012 10:37 PM

might be the end of the world for some. like the Honor Oak Supermarket which has everything you need from a local supermarket without the mark up prices of sainsburys local

mrcee

05-01-2012 10:40 PM

true - or it might attract new people to the area which notice they are cheaper therefore giving them more support.

fionan

07-01-2012 04:08 PM

It would be great for those of us without a car - and anything is better than ugly empty shops

isaglanzer

10-01-2012 12:29 PM

Although there are some lovely small shops of various kinds in the parade and Hills and Parks is great for certain things, it is striking what a narrow range of food and basics can be bought in the vicinity of Honor Oak Park station. It would be great to be able to do a quick shop on the way home from work, and I do agree it would enliven the parade generally, so I hope it's true, although I'd slightly prefer Coop or Little Waitrose!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields