SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Bus to Blackheath
lacb

25-11-2011 01:36 PM

Yes that part of Forest Hill that is actually Catford!

Unless you happen to live right on the postcode border, it would be easier to go to Lewisham and walk from there than use the "short walk" you refer to. Which brings us back on topic hopefully. There is no direct bus from Forest Hill or Honor Oak to Blackheath!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jgdoherty

25-11-2011 03:07 PM

lacb is absolutely correct and my earlier assumption about the 202 passing through SE23 at Perry Rise was not as precise as it should have been.

But looking at the boundary maps, Perry Rise, Lescombe Road, Houston Road and Hawkesfield Road are all SE23 post codes and ergo form part of Forest Hill. The 202 route passes the end of each of those roads and must therefore be deemed to service those SE23 locations.

Technically therefore, we have a bus service that meets the criteria of providing a service for, at least part of, Forest Hill direct to Blackheath.

The SE23/SE6 boundary does some weird and wonderful wiggles in that little patch of the map.

lacb

25-11-2011 03:28 PM

Ok but I do find it quite amusing how many people, mostly in London it seems, like to name the area they live in after the sorting office that delivers their mail ("all SE23 post codes and ergo form part of Forest Hill").

The original topic here was actually about buses from Honor Oak to Blackheath. Forest Hill was mentioned as a possible close alternative as there was a suggestion that a direct bus ran from there. It follows that we are not talking about postal areas here.

Just curious, does anyone call that area (with the kudos of a direct bus) Perry Vale any more?

jgdoherty

25-11-2011 03:42 PM

Point taken - and may we all be saved from pedantry.

Curious how the thread grew organically though - don'tcha just love them - they just wander off where they like.

Perry Vale and Bellingham and Bell Green are names I hear frequently when people describe where they live.

More interestingly people seem to have a real downer on acknowledging they live in Catford, which may add to the rational that you describe of attributing post codes to areas (and I can see i really used the word "ergo" - shame on me). I think all estate agents are to blame for this.

But then that's another thread altogether.

lacb

25-11-2011 04:04 PM

Agreed wholeheartedly. (Shudders when remembering that thread).

Really, I don't think there is a right or wrong about this anyway.

alisa

25-11-2011 04:32 PM

I think the actual question was how to get from Austin Close to Blackheath. The bus stop at Catford Bridge Railway station, where the 202 stops, is a 16 minute walk according to google maps whilst either of the stops on Catford Hill (which becomes Perry Hill) work out at 15 minutes (all are downhill from Austin Close!).

For most of us, this is quite do'able, though as the original query came with a 4 year old in tow, I can imagine that 15 minutes, would be an optimistic dream.

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
Fish Face

25-11-2011 05:42 PM

No-one has mentioned anything about Austin Close.

Joffe

25-11-2011 06:02 PM

jgdoherty wrote:
More interestingly people seem to have a real downer on acknowledging they live in Catford

I wonder why that is Smile

shimmysister

26-11-2011 07:52 PM

Brilliant! Well done for remembering Austin Close! I didn't mention it, but actually the route you suggest is the best so far i.e. via Catford and a 15 min walk. My son is far more likely to go for this route as it means scooting through the park. He's actually got quite a lot of stamina for walking and scooting, but not waiting around at bus stops.

Fish Face

29-11-2011 10:44 AM

...and no mention of a '4 year old'!

Shimmysister and Alisa the same person?

alisa

29-11-2011 01:57 PM

Deary, deary me...

shimmysister in earlier threads looks for a house in HOP (this August), gets an offer accepted in Austin Close and discusses schools for her 4 and a half year old

Keep up.

I have been around for a few years but don't post so much as I sometimes feel people get a bit picky and pedantic. Imagine.

Hi shimmysister - hope you are enjoying HOP & Blythe Hill Fields

Oh & I love Catford ;-)

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
shimmysister

29-11-2011 11:43 PM

Hi Alisa, in Sydenham right now dreaming of living in HOP and will be moving in 2 weeks time :-)

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields