SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Name Plates Missing on War Memorial @ Livesey Memorial Hall
jgdoherty

12-10-2011 07:49 PM

On walking past Livesey Memorial Hall (on the SE23/SE6 boundary) this afternoon I noticed that two of the name plates on the War Memorial were missing. These plates probably measure approximately 2' x 5' (0.6 x 1.5m) each.

Whilst I cannot be sure when they were removed, I am reasonably certain that they would be made of brass and would be not insubstantial in weight.

I can only hope that they have been removed for legitimate purposes (cleaning, refurbishment, repair etc) - perhaps in advance of Remembrance Sunday.

But knowing that thieves over recent years have stolen brass name plates from local cemeteries and other memorials, I fear that they may have been removed for ulterior motive.

Can anyone enlighten us on what is happening ?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Merlin

12-10-2011 08:26 PM

Hopefully the name plates have not ended up in the hands of the people responsible for this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15088885

jgdoherty

12-10-2011 08:32 PM

Oops - did I really type "brass" - it should be bronze.

Apologies all round.

Londondrz

13-10-2011 10:51 AM

Have you reported it to the council/police?

paulmemorial

18-10-2011 07:07 PM

visited the memorial today and took pictures of the damage and passed them onto the freinds of war memorials as i am the regional volunteer hopefully we can get them repaired in the very near future
please keep your eyes and ears open for any sign where they are being disposed of

jgdoherty

24-10-2011 12:06 PM

Belatedly I have noticed that a third plate, the curved smaller plate at the foot of the memorial is also missing.

It is to be hoped that the cast statue is not next.

Is anyone able to cast any positive light on their removal ?

PaulM - do we know who actually owns the memorial and should the police be advised in the owner's absence - especally if only to reduce the likliehood of the statue beng taken ?

I have found a website where the names of those honoured is listed, so if the news is of the worst kind, potentialy the plaques can be replaced.

jgdoherty

31-10-2011 07:57 PM

Informative piece on BBC1 Six O'Clock News tonight (31 Oct) about widespread thefts of this type due to increases in scrap metal prices. You should be able to see it on the BBC IPlayer.

South London and Carshalton in particular got a mention.

Looks like bad news for our memorial.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Memorial benches removed from Honor Oak Crematorium hillview 3 4,338 18-10-2018 08:58 PM
Last Post: Hillier