SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Internet connection in SE23 this weekend ?
spud

07-08-2011 12:13 PM

Our internet connection has been out for action for periods of three or four hours at a time all this weekend. We've not had any problems of this kind previously.

We're based in Honor Oak and our service provider is Talk Talk Business.

Has anyone else had any problems? And, more generally, are there any internet service providers that you would particularly recommend? Or any that you'd recommend avoiding?

Advice and info welcome - thanks.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jgdoherty

08-08-2011 01:40 PM

Talk-Talk has been experiencing similar outages since last week over this and adjacent exchanges. The problem would seem to be indicative of a wider malais that Talk-Talk is experiencing.

Talk-Talk have not officially reported on these outages.

If you look at the other post about BT Broadband on here, you will see that BT is not covering itself in glory with the delivery of its new super-fast fibre optic network. Additionally whilst the completion of the new network installation is eagerly awaited in Forest Hill, we continue to have to endure abysmal perfomances with the existing copper infrastructure. BT will give their business customers preferential treatment in terms of priority but if there is anything over and above "normal" problems you may have to test your patience whilst BT works out what the solution is.

Virgin domestic customers on here always seem content performance wise, although I do not know how they treat their business customers. Similarly with Be.

At least one user on here could not secure any information from Virgin about when they would plan to implement changs that will meet the levels of performance promised by BT for their new network.

However even BT is very much "jam tomorrow".

Typically you are left to lay your money down and take your choice without adequate information being made available.

Scorpion

08-08-2011 03:57 PM

Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems.
I have been with Virgin Media for the past couple of years or so and, though I will not say they are the best or the worst, I get a regular, usually non-problematic service from them Wink
Out-times are usually very rare. Keeping to actual speeds maybe not 100% but, personally, we have not had much of a problem.
I would rather stick with VM than go back to BT Internet/Phone services (of whom I was a customer of for years but then who stupidly let me down and then wanted masses of money to get me back as a customer!)

Good luck Smile

Sue

mrcee

13-08-2011 04:23 PM

Anyone else currently having issues with their phone lines in hop? My personal line has been unavailable since yesterday morning and my business line has been noisy since yesterday.

hoplady

13-08-2011 07:00 PM

I'm in HOP and having the same problem, and I know my next door neighbour is affected as well. My landline is completely dead. I reported the fault to BT last night, so hopefully it will be fixed shortly.

Poppy9560

14-08-2011 03:50 PM

I get intermittent problems with BT Broadband going down but usually get ok again fairly swiftly. My phone line often goes dead for about 24 hours - usually at the weekend but I've never bothered looking into the cause of it as I usually use my mobile to call family and friends - i only seem to get double glazing salespeople using the landline so that's no loss

Muss

14-08-2011 05:41 PM

We had intermittent outages on the telephone and broadband a few weeks after we switched from Virgin to Sky Talk & Broadband.

The problem was a loose connection where the line was attached to the telegraph pole. You see, to use Sky Talk & Broadband, we had to have a new BT line attached between the house and pole because the original one had been taken down. The original engineer did not do a good job as he should have done. Fortunately the 2nd engineer secured the connection and checked everything.

Over the years I've had to deal with Virgin cable engineers resolving someone else's problem in the cable box, but inadvertently knocking out the connection for another user (that would be me!).

kemamira

15-08-2011 09:59 PM

We're on Bovill Road and we didn't have our landline working for phone calls or broadband from Friday to today early afternoon. The phone now has a dialling tone but the broadband speed is only 500Kb (usually over 10Mb.
BT were working out on the street but I think this covers a number of houses.

hoplady

15-08-2011 10:19 PM

My landline and broadband are now fine, I'm pleased to say! Fixed late this afternoon.

Baboonery

17-08-2011 09:37 AM

My landline and broadband (in Dartmouth Road) have been off for nearly two weeks. Repeated calls have solved nothing. Openreach were fiddling with the box outside Billy Hills as I left this morning, but I'm not expecting much.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Events in SE23 weekend of 4-6 April 2014 admin 0 3,305 04-04-2014 06:36 AM
Last Post: admin
  Free Events in SE23 on Weekend of 29/30 March admin 0 3,205 29-03-2014 02:01 PM
Last Post: admin