SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Hello, Moving to FH soon
AMFM

15-02-2008 04:24 PM

davidl wrote:
At risk of sounding facetious - it's slightly different, being brown in colour rather than red. The idea is pretty much the same, though. I had a friend from south of the border who asked the same thing and was convinced that we were probably talking about the same thing, until I brought a bottle of the Belfast variant back after a trip home. Funnily enough, after a ferret of the interweb, I can't find any pics to illustrate the difference.

Has to be said, I'm not all that surprised that you didn't come across it, since it's not one of those things that you'll find being served in bars - you'll find it in shops, though. I think that the creeping march of Coca-Cola capitalism probably means that its days are numbered in any case.

Probably worth asking your mum if she remembers it.

Davidl - Are you suggesting I would have spent my university days in the bar?!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BarCar

15-02-2008 04:39 PM

davidl wrote:
Has to be said, I'm not all that surprised that you didn't come across it, ince it's not one of those things that you'll find being served in bars - you'll find it in shops, though. I think that the creeping march of Coca-Cola capitalism probably means that its days are numbered in any case.

One of the major sources when I was young(er) was "The Maine Man" who delivered fizzy pop door-to-door on trucks - just like the milk man but without the health benefits.

Whether such mobile providers of fizz still exist is a mystery to me. The fact that they ever existed is a chronic reflection on the diets we had back then.

davidl

15-02-2008 04:58 PM

AMFM wrote:
Are you suggesting I would have spent my university days in the bar?!

Well, I'm thinking you might have visited some sort of imbibing emporium at some point following your matriculation... Belfast has some very nice ones, serving proper beer these days (not just Harp, Guinness, Bass and Smithwicks...)

BarCar wrote:
"The Maine Man" who delivered fizzy pop door-to-door on trucks

Certainly (at least about 3 years ago when I last checked) such people are still delivering drinks to NI's malnourished urchins - I found a Maine man stopped outside my Dad's house and bought a bottle of limeade. Loved it when I was a kid, but (presumably because I have tasted actual limes in the interim and no longer like my drinks to be a livid bright green and sweet as a bag of sugar) it really wasn't pleasant. It reminded me that it's never a good idea to revisit these things as an adult.

I do think we're potentially going to need a new section - this is going beyond Beyond SE23.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields