SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Green Chain Walk - Sat 11th - Different!
Ian Bull

10-06-2011 03:09 AM

Hullo everyone,

Do you enjoy walking? Would you like to participate in something out of the ordinary? Very near to SE23?

I lead most of the walks on SE London's 'Green Chain Walk' long distance footpath network on behalf of 'Walk London' and the GCW itself. Literally thousands have taken part. Some of them have suggested something exceptional and possibly downright barmy.

At 11.30 PM (23.30) on Saturday 11th June we'll meet outside Crystal Palace railway station and walk the 22 miles to the Eastern extremity of the Green Chain at Erith. Yes, overnight. Just under half the route is 'off-road'.

Those who are mad enough to take part will benefit from a remarkable experience. Seeing the sun rise out of the North Sea and tackling steep paths in London's densest woodland to a tremendous morning chorus. You won't find that birdsong in the inner parts of London. You won't find the remarkable light of early dawn in woodland anywhere near the city centre either. This is the best and perhaps only chance.

There's no sign-up and this is wholly unofficial, not arranged by any body. It will be a wonderful experience but some matters must be clear before you partake...

I take absolutely no responsibility for your safety or welfare. Note that...

**IF YOU TAKE PART IN THIS WALK YOU DO SO ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN WELL-BEING**

Is that clear and fully understood? If not, DO NOT TAKE PART.

If you do take part you'll have a wonderful night that you may never forget. Some serious suggestions...

* Bring plenty of water.
* Don't drink alcohol beforehand, it will dehydrate you.
* Respect the time. Walk quietly through populated areas.
* You must bring a torch. You'll need it for about 40 minutes.

It could be the best walk of the year. I look forward to seeing you outside Crystal Palace railway station at 11.30pm (23.30) on Saturday 11th June.

Feel free to contact me for any further information you might require. My number on the night will be 077 998 101 78. NOTE, this does not receive texts or voicemail.

All the best

Ian Bull
020 7223 3572

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scorpion

10-06-2011 11:33 AM

Hello Ian,
I like walking (strolling, looking around me) & visiting places in general but sadly haven't done so much of this in recent years and would like to see more of my local area and beyond.
I would love to take part in this, as I have been meaning to take a community walk locally for a long time, but unfortunately have an early shift start on Sunday.
Please feel free to PM/e-mail me to let me know of any such future planned walks.

Hoping you get a good crowd and all goes well Smile

Regards
Sue

Scorpion

10-06-2011 11:39 AM

Sorry, as an afterthought and NOT a criticism but, earlier notification/planning would have been much better, as I truly would have liked to attend & would have tried to book this day off.
Just food for thought.
Wish I was off Saturday/Sunday instead of today & Saturday :P

Have a great time! Wink

Sue

Ian Bull

11-06-2011 03:27 AM

Hullo Scorpion,

Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't give much notice. I'm just so busy at the moment with work and helping to bring a steam railway back to SE London.

The other reason I was so late with notification is that I didn't think anyone would be interested. Just a handful of regulars on the daytime walks made the suggestion (one of them's going to be reading this) and I thought half a dozen would be all who'd attend. I'm beginning to realise that I was wrong!

If this madness is reasonably supported, let's do it again. Perhaps both the longest and shortest nights of the year. Meanwhile, the same walk happens again on Saturday 24th September - the sixth annual Green Chain 'Megawalk'!

All the best - Ian

Ian Bull

11-06-2011 03:40 PM

Hullo everyone,

Some notes for participants in tonight's walk.

For the first 12.5 miles or so we'll *have* to walk at slightly over average walking pace. Three and a half miles per hour will do the job. This is so that we've arrived at the best possible vantage point by the time the sun rises.

If you need a Night bus we'll cross some routes. N36 & N47 at 5 miles. N21 at 10 miles. N89 at 12.5 miles. 53 at 14.5 miles.

The weather forecast is perfect!!

I look forward to seeing you later.

All the best - Ian

dbboy

11-06-2011 04:02 PM

Any idea roughly what time you'll be coming through Forest Hill / Honor Oak and whereabouts?

Ian Bull

11-06-2011 05:07 PM

Hullo dbboy,

We won't be going through Forest Hill/Honor Oak! The first part of the route will be CP Station - Penge - Penge East Station - Beckenham - Downham.

Including the GCW's Crystal Palace - Nunhead section would have made the walk too long - sorry!

Best - Ian

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Green Chain Walk Ian Bull 0 1,001 07-04-2023 12:50 AM
Last Post: Ian Bull
  Green Chain Walk - 21 miles on Saturday! Ian Bull 0 3,396 11-10-2018 01:46 AM
  Green Chain Walk - Fri 20th - Special event Ian Bull 2 4,907 23-07-2012 01:08 AM
  Sat. 24th - Walk the Green Chain! Ian Bull 0 3,557 22-09-2011 05:29 PM
  The Green Chain Walk - In excelsis Ian Bull 0 3,813 14-09-2010 02:39 AM
  Walk the Green Chain - Saturday 26th Ian Bull 2 4,642 05-10-2009 11:50 AM
Last Post: Happysnapper
  Green Chain Walking Festival - Sept 2009 blushingsnail 0 2,942 11-09-2009 03:33 PM
Last Post: blushingsnail