SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »
The 23 Club
Emmak

12-08-2009 07:52 PM

Hi there, this is my first post to the forum, as a single female, does the se23 club do singles nights, for the se23 residents that cant do lunch? Failing that, are there any single se23-ers who would want to start a group?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

12-08-2009 08:12 PM

The 23 Club is open to all. Most of our dinners are in the evening, but we try to have a few weekend lunches when the 23rd falls at the weekend.

We regularly have a number of singles as well as couples (although more single ladies than men). But no reason not to set up an occasional singles event and I would be happy to help you start up a group, although I don't think my wife would let me attend!

michael

17-09-2009 03:17 PM

Wednesday September 23 at 8pm : Babur ? Indian with a touch of class
119 Brockley Rise SE23 1JP 8291 2400 (look for the tiger above the door!)

Don?t forget to book for the forthcoming get-together at Babur ? an exceptional Indian restaurant celebrating a remarkable 24 years in Forest Hill. It is more expensive than our previous haunts, but we believe you will not be disappointed. They have a lively website: http://www.babur.info and reviews on the internet f you want to find out more.

Saturday October 24 at lunchtime : The Dartmouth Arms : Croydon Canal Celebrations - 7 Dartmouth Road SE23 3HN 8488 3117

Two hundred years ago, on 27th October 1809, the Croydon Canal was formally opened. Barges could carry coal, building materials, food and other supplies between London and Croydon, by way of Forest Hill and Sydenham.

The Croydon Canal was the beginning of a process that over the next 90 years would transform our area from a few isolated, sparsely populated hamlets, largely dependant on farming, into the inner London suburb we know today.

To celebrate the opening, the proprietors of the Croydon Canal Company, their guests, the navvies who built it and others assembled at Sydenham before embarking to Croydon on ?handsomely decorated? barges. On their arrival they walked to a nearby pub where speeches were made and they enjoyed ?a very splendid dinner?.

Our plans to celebrate the bicentenary of the opening differ slightly from the original celebrations. We will walk in the opposite direction, to Forest Hill. There will be no speeches, but there will be a talk on the history of the canal and instead of dinner we will be having lunch.

Celebration Timetable

11.00 a.m. Our bi-centennial walk begins outside Sydenham Station, Station Approach, following a brief introduction to the subject by Steve Grindlay. We follow the route of the canal along Silverdale to Dacres Wood Nature Reserve where Steve will talk about the remains of the canal. We then cross the railway line by the footbridge and walk along Sydenham Park Road to Albion Villas Road and the Millennium Green from where we can access the footpath alongside the canal/railway line as far as Forest Hill Station and cross the road to Havelock Walk. From Havelock Walk we return to London Road by way of David?s Road and then to the Hob Public House for a slide show and talk by Steve (at approx 12.30 p.m).

Lunch will be available at the Dartmouth Arms from approx 1.15 pm. This is a Club 49 event (an amalgamation of Forest Hill Society?s 23 Club and Sydenham Society?s Club 26) and, as this is likely to be popular, you will need to reserve your place with the Dartmouth Arms (tel: 8448 3117) before 23 October.

dipsolala

17-09-2009 07:37 PM

I LOVE canals!
Ever since I found out about the Croydon Canal, soon after i moved to the area seven years ago, I have often looked up the navigation on the internet on various websites trying to identify the bits of se23 I was familiar with. I've always wanted to walk the nav, but never got round to doing so on my own. So I'm really up for this one.

About 18 months ago I had the priviledge of volunteering for a charity and took a group of sighted and visually impaired people on a one week barge trip from shropshire to Llangollan and back. It was a truly awesome journey, I'd only ever done about 4 navs in the flat SE of England (a very enjoyable experience with friends, or on my own with a 6 berth barge!) but this was stunning and challenging (in many ways), through narrow, sheer mountainous cuttings, round hairpin bends and across the highest of aqueducts. Luckily, as soon as I moored and stopped the engine each evening, someone would appear with a glass of chilled white wine for. Heaven

oooh i love canals

michael

22-09-2009 04:15 PM

Babur celebrates a very special cuisine from Kerala
23rd September - 31st October
http://www.babur.info/website/index.php?...d-specials

Join us for the first day tomorrow evening, at the 23 Club. To book call 020 8291 2400 and tell them you are with the 23 Club.

Red sandalwood ostrich, Tamarind-glazed quail breast, Beetroot and potato cutlet - those are just some of the STARTERS!

michael

05-10-2009 12:50 PM

Saturday October 24 Croydon Canal Celebrations

11.00 a.m. Our bi-centennial walk begins outside Sydenham Station, Station Approach, following a brief introduction to the subject by Steve Grindlay. We follow the route of the canal along Silverdale to Dacres Wood Nature Reserve where Steve will talk about the remains of the canal. We then cross the railway line by the footbridge and walk along Sydenham Park Road to Albion Villas Road and the Millennium Green from where we can access the footpath alongside the canal/railway line as far as Forest Hill Station and cross the road to Havelock Walk. From Havelock Walk we return to London Road by way of David?s Road and then to the Hob Public House for a slide show and talk by Steve (at approx 12.30 p.m).

Lunch and entertainment will be available at the Dartmouth Arms from approx 1.15 pm. This is a Club 49 event (an amalgamation of Forest Hill Society?s 23 Club and Sydenham Society?s Club 26) and, as this is likely to be popular, you will need to reserve your place with the Dartmouth Arms (tel: 8448 3117) before 23 October.

michael

22-10-2009 08:08 PM

The Dartmouth Arms is almost fully booked for lunch, but there are still some spaces. Give them a call to reserve your places.

For those of us starting the walk from Sydenham at 11am, there are trains from Forest Hill at 10:48am and 10:58am on Saturday morning.

Weather forecast is for rain, so we should have a nice sunny day for the walk.Thumbup

michael

27-10-2009 01:07 PM

Steve Grindlay's presentation is now available at:
http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2009/10...canal.html

It was great to see over 120 people celebrating 200 years since the canal opened. And it didn't rain afterall Thumbup

michael

23-11-2009 04:07 PM

Sorry for the late update, but if you fancy joining the 23 Club this evening you will find us at The Honor Oak, 1 St German?s Road, SE23 1RH at 8pm

michael

13-01-2010 09:16 PM

We are re-launching the 23 Club this month with a Burns Night celebration on Saturday, 23rd January at All Inn One, 53 Perry Vale, SE23 2NE from 8pm. Please make your booking with the pub itself on 8699-3311. This was a really popular event last year, so we do advise you to book.

Scots are particularly welcome, especially if you bring your favourite Burns poems to read out. A true test of a Braveheart!

michael

16-01-2010 03:42 PM

I got the following message from the All Inn One regarding the 23 Club:

Next Saturday evening is a 3 Course Burns Night Set Dinner (vegetarian option available) for ?20 per person out of which 50% will go towards the Haiti Appeal, live Scottish Folk Music and anybody is welcome to do some poetry reading if they wish to.

Booking is essential, at the moment we do have over 30 booked (at least 10 from 23 Club) but a few seats still available?

foodieluver

24-01-2010 11:57 PM

I went into the The Foresters/All Inn One last night only to find the place decorated in Tartan and people enjoying Burns Night. I thought it was brilliant and was pleased to hear that the running total for the Haiti Appeal now stands at ?660 which is excellent. Thankyou to Richard, Julia and team for organising such a great night. Well done to the people of Forest Hill who contributed to the Haiti Appeal to achieve a great total. I would also like to thank the two gentlemen who wore the kilts. It made my nightSmile

michael

15-02-2010 04:35 PM

A slightly different format for the 23 Club in February and March:

Tuesday February 23: Hopscotch : a new cafe in Honor Oak
72 Honor Oak Park SE23 1DY http://www.hopscotch-cafebar.com
Meet at 11am for coffee and/or 4pm for tea (no booking needed) – tables will have 23 Club ID

Tuesday March 23 : Stone Bar : a new Caribbean style bar in Honor Oak
68-70 Honor Oak Park SE23 1DY http://www.stonebar.co.uk
Meet between 6-8pm for drinks (no booking needed) – tables will have 23 Club ID
If you decide to stay and have supper you don’t need to book. Menu info is on the website.

Pstaveley

15-04-2010 09:36 AM

Does anyone know what the venue and times for The 23 Club this month will be?

Peter

michael

15-04-2010 11:22 AM

23 Club – Friday, April 23rd 8pm St George’s Day celebration at the Dulwich Wood House.

michael

13-05-2010 10:58 AM

23 CLUB DOES THE EAST LONDON LINE
If you’d like to celebrate the ELL’s first operating day, then do join the 23 Club on Sunday, May 23rd as we ride the rails.

The plan is to meet on Platform One at 14:00 and catch the 14:11 from Forest Hill Station with Sydenham Society, enjoying their theatre performance on the way. They will be going to Dalston and back. But the 23 Club would like to recommend getting off at Hoxton Station at 14:36 for a visit to the fabulous Geffrye Museum (http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk). Opening hours on Sundays & Bank Holiday Mondays are 12 - 5pm. Admission to the museum's eleven period rooms, special exhibitions and herb and period gardens is free. The restored historic almshouse, in the south wing of the museum buildings, will not be open.

FHSoc

20-05-2010 04:06 PM

This Sunday, why not come along and celebrate the opening of the East London line and the launch of the Sydenham Arts Festival with the Sydenham and Forest Hill Societies?

We will be meeting at Sydenham or Forest Hill stations at 2pm, to catch the 14.09 towards Dalston Junction Rail Station from Sydenham (14.11 from Forest Hill).

While the Forest Hill Society's 23 Club is planning a trip to the Geffrye Museum (a partner museum to the Horniman) and so will be alighting at Hoxton, the Sydenham Society will travel up to Dalston Junction before returning back down the line at around 3pm arriving back in Sydenham around 3.40pm.

Come along and enjoy a fun-filled afternoon on our new railway. And if you get to your station early, there should also be free train travel for this event. TfL are handing out a minimum of 300 free travelcards (and souvenir tickets for those who do not need travelcards) at each station - go along early and pick one up.

blushingsnail

20-05-2010 04:21 PM

And for anyone joining at HOP, it will be the 2.14pm train.

Pages (6): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields