SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Transport For London Survey
midlifec

30-06-2010 12:26 PM

Has anyone else been contacted at home by TFL or someone purporting to be from TFL regarding the East London Line? I was asked lots of questions if I'd made use of the new line. Had I changed my travel arrangements How many trips did I make per day/ per week. It all sounded pretty legitimate but I was then asked what time I left home ? How far was my journey? I then said I was not answering any more intrusive questions. BEWARE this could be someone checking when you leave home and for how long. I have tried to find out from TFL if they have commissioned a survey but you can imagine how successful I have been.. BEYOND BELIEF STUPIDITY

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mattfh

30-06-2010 12:56 PM

These all sound like survey questions I was asked by an official Overground-garbed "question-asker" on an ELL train when it first started up on a quiet Sunday, including normal times of day for traveling. He didn't ask for any personally identifying information.

showtunesgirl

30-06-2010 01:27 PM

I have been surveyed by TFL but this was a while ago. They should have some sort of ID with them.

gingernuts

30-06-2010 02:08 PM

Didnt your Mum ever tell you to never speak to strangers? I've always found this advise quite useful - even if it does make me an unfriendly g*t!

Mattfh

30-06-2010 02:14 PM

My Mum neglected to mention anything about posting on forums to strangers though...

rshdunlop

30-06-2010 03:29 PM

How were you contacted? Did they phone you? If it was TFL, do you know how they got your number (Oyster registration perhaps)? How did they confirm who they were?

I think it's okay to ask when you started your journey, they need that sort of information. To phrase it as 'when do you normally leave the house' does sound a bit dodgy, but it might just have been sloppy scripting on the part of whoever designed the questionnaire.

midlifec

30-06-2010 05:35 PM

Thank you for your comments everyone. I have now heard back from TFL to say an external agency( forgotten the name) is carrying out research for them and is picking telephone numbers at random in areas covered by the new extension. I put up my original post because I was genuinely concerned about the nature of some questions and wanted to warn others. However it is legitimate.

gingernuts

01-07-2010 09:24 AM

It may well be legit - even so, be careful when you give out personal information to strangers.

Ex FH Pat

01-07-2010 10:00 AM

Totally agree with Gingernuts, only give out info that cannot be used to harm you in anyway

Tinkerbell

04-07-2010 08:17 PM

It appears that GfK are carrying out the surveys for TfL, was interviewed by one of their field workers on the platform. Longwinded and quite repetitive questionnaire, but genuine as far as I can tell. Tried to add a few comments on extending the late service from Canada Water after 23.45....

borderpaul

05-07-2010 10:00 AM

I used to work for GfK not on the research side but interviewers have to adhere to certain standards and the data they collect is bound by the Data Protection Act.

The interviewer should identify themselves and carry a badge with a registration number and say that the answers you give will be subject to the DPA.

Interviewers have to adhere to certain standards, google MRQSA or IQCS for details or contact GfK as the research industry works very hard to protect its name including spending a lot on training interviewers, perhaps this person needs retraining.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  UCL student - survey on feelings towards using public transport during and post Covid nmilford 2 4,551 02-07-2020 05:05 AM
Last Post: annsquire66
  London Bridge Station travel survey blushingsnail 0 2,952 18-03-2010 10:40 AM
Last Post: blushingsnail