SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Westbourne Drive hole-in-the-road
blushingsnail

20-04-2010 01:13 PM

Anyone know what's happening with the trench dug by the gas company that's closing off Westbourne Drive at the moment? The road was re-surfaced just before Easter, and then about a week after Easter the gas company came along and dug the road up.

Other than the trench itself, I haven't seen any sign of other work. Last Friday morning there were some hand tools on the ground and a man sitting in a van, and for the last two mornings I've walked past just before 9.00am and there haven't been any workmen or any sign of further activity.

(Please, no one do the 'Council are looking into it' joke.)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
councillorsusanwise

20-04-2010 03:53 PM

At the risk of a joke, I have already asked the right officer at Lewisham Council to investigate this work by Southern Gas as I'm not happy about this road being dug up after what was a lovely and very recent resurfacing job.

Peter C-H

20-04-2010 06:07 PM

Unless the rules have changed in the last few months, under NRSWA (New Roads and Streetworks Act, 1991) all utilities can dig up a road which has just been resurfaced if
1) It is an emergency eg gas leak or,
2) It is a new supply which had not been ordered by a customer before the road was surfaced.

I suspect that it is more likely to be a leak which was caused by the vibrations of the surfacing rollerOhmy

BT

21-04-2010 07:47 AM

I think the reason is that the gas people dont fill in the hole straight away is that they have to monitor the repair for about a week to ensure that there are no further leaks.

I had to have a new pipe from the road to my property a couple of years ago and tha same thing happened. The hole in the road was left for about a week and a chap turned up every day and had a check around the hole and right up to my house. They don't actually fill the hole themselves they have a dedicated team who do this. They took pictures when thay had finished presuamably to prove that they had done the job.

Snazy

22-04-2010 01:23 PM

There has been a gas leak there for ages, way before the resurfacing. In fact im suprised that none of the locals reported it.

Was sad to see a new road get dug up so soon, but better than a bloody big hole being blown in it. Could be a number of reasons for it being left open. I would suggest contacting the contractor on the number on the roadworks for more info.

Could be venting gas, could be waiting for another utility to do some work etc.
Either way, its shocking to see how people are avoiding the closure by driving over pavements and ignoring no right turn signs.

blushingsnail

22-04-2010 03:44 PM

The trench was being filled in this morning, so it looks like Bt was right and the work had been finished but they wait a while before filling in the hole.

Snazy: I hadn't realised there was a gas leak there, despite walking past every day. You must have a very sensitive sense of smell!

Snazy

22-04-2010 04:23 PM

I walk past it 4 times a day with the dogs, and smelt it most days. Was very strong at some points. Was about to report it when they started the resurfacing. Been like it for 6 week- 2 months minimum.

I would have reported it sooner, but seem to find myself reporting them all the time. In my time working with Transco there was a guy who spent all day walking the streets reporting them, and he had a reputation for being a bit wierd, so I have been trying to avoid that status lol.

The one at the bottom of Sunderland Road was the same. Months, and no one reported it. Not sensitive, just keen Wink

councillorsusanwise

22-04-2010 05:10 PM

I am reliably informed that the hole-in-the-road here is from a gas emergency.

Snazy

23-04-2010 12:56 PM

Cheers Susan, I think the initial cause was already established Smile

Its all finished up now, and for once looks like a good repair/patch. Lets wait and see over a few months to see if it sags now.

councillorsusanwise

23-04-2010 05:52 PM

Snazy-I hope they do a good repair patch. I shall be checking on it, as some utilities do not leave the roads as well resurfaced as when they found them, and Westbourne Drive looked lovely for a little while.

Snazy

23-04-2010 07:55 PM

Indeed it did, for a few days. Shame no one locally had reported the leak prior, I almost feel bad now, but not quite.

The repair looks a good quality one, but its all about whats under the tarmac and how much effort was put into compacting the ground. Its never gonna be perfect, especially with the depth of the dig, but fingers crossed its a good one.

So lesson learned for all. Smell gas.... report it! Its a quick, stress free call to a lovely call centre, and saves roads as well as lives Thumbup

0800 111 999..... Smell it, report it! Even if its not outside your house or even on your own road. ( I will continue to do so after this failure)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Land on corner of Perry Vale & Westbourne Drive blushingsnail 64 72,252 14-05-2015 08:53 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Planning Application - Hindsley Place and Westbourne Drive michael 124 135,024 09-01-2014 01:46 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Large hole in road on Brockley Rise admin 3 6,502 28-06-2013 03:40 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Westbourne Drive tinkerbelle 12 12,881 20-10-2009 07:46 PM
Last Post: tinkerbelle
  Party Noise on Westbourne Drive Snazy 5 14,859 01-06-2009 04:06 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  New block of flats on Westbourne Drive Savvy 0 3,115 16-02-2008 08:42 PM
Last Post: Savvy